Sensor Smear (not dust) D300

simonburgess7

<p>Hi<br>

Has anyone experience of recurring smears on the sensor?<br>

I seem to have an issue that when I'm using the camera for an extended period- say in a studio producing 200+ images in a session fairly rapidly- I appear to get a smear (??oil) at the top left of the sensor (in portrait mode ). It seems to be in roughly the same place. I ended up this morning after a shoot of 400 images last night, having the sensor professionally cleaned (in London by Nikon agent Fixation, who did a smashing job).....Arctic Butterfly wouldn't move it ...<br>

Now it may well be my imagination but I do seem to get the same smear in roughly the same place-- could it be oil ''thrown off'' by ?shutter / mirror after repeated action. Seems highly unlikely and I've seen no other posts on this so doubt it's just me!<br>

As ever would appreciate thoughts from the great and good on this.</p>

<p>Best regards, Simon</p>

<p>simon, this is definitely a unique report. i don't recall ever hearing such a thing, and have no comparable experience on either my D300 or D700. it's a pity the fixation folks didn't inspect the innards of your camera more thoroughly -- i suppose they considered it a routine cleaning job. i suspect there's something more to it.</p>

<p>Definitely not unique, this is reported by one of the suppliers of sensor cleaning devices. It seems to happen sometimes with Canon FF cameras. I experienced it once with my 5D, it took a lot of improvised (I neither had time nor equipment) work to remove the smears. BTW your Arctic Butterfly may need cleaning by now as well. The oil seems to come from the mechanism. </p>

I have recently some problems with my D3 , after i shoot a series of pictures at "H" speed burst. The wet cleaning is the solution for this problem. You can doit yourself , with care an patience . Use the Eclipse E2 cleaning fluid. If it is oil, it should look like this :<div>00TMIG-134601584.jpg.afda8018be756d44457585a6fd7e8055.jpg</div>