How do I prepare an image for an 8x10 file?

<p>Simply crop it to a 4x5 dimensions ratio:</p>

<p>Use the crop tool, enter "4 in" and "5 in" in the Width & Height dimensions and blank out the Resolution setting, then crop your image -- voila! (this is well covered in all basic Photoshop books)</p>

<p>Just put 8in and 10in in the crop box. You can put a resolution in if you want, but it's not totally necessary. Try both ways. You'll see the rulers change after the crop indicating the new size. Even looking at Image > Image size will show you the change.</p>

<p>I was always looking it up under printing and pixels. I didn't think about cropping. I always associated that with losing pixels and quality. I know I have quiet abit to learn about this end of photography. It gets hard to wrap my brain around sometimes. And then I just need alittle confirmation that I am doing it right and not screwing something up! :) Thanks Ken</p>

<p>5x7 is a different ratio than 4x5/8x10. Always keep the original and save as a new image when you crop. Otherwise you will lose something everytime you change the aspect ratio. Whey not try it a few times on a copy. Alternate between 8x10 and 5x7. You will soon run out of croppable area.</p>