Arc de triomphe

RaymondC

Not really. You can't use a tripod and there is nowhere convenient to put a camera down. You might be able to do something sneaky with a monopod and the railings, especially if it is dark, but don't count on it being easy.

<p>Berg, yeah that would do, I would think one needs a long lens then, any idea of the focal length?</p>

<p>Before I thought about a wide angle lens being closer to the arc so you don't have the buildings around it. I been there for a few days, maybe a position is not possible or maybe one needs to be at a restaurant or a hotel room?</p>

<p>I think what Ray is asking is if there's a way from the top of the Arc to get long exposures of the traffic below. A few years ago, I shot some photos in daytime of the traffic around the Arc, but I don't know how you would do it at night. Perhaps a time exposure with the camera mounted on a monopod would work if you could hold it still enough. If nothing else, a pano like Berg's shot at night would be interesting.</p>

<p>Ever tried a string tripod? It's pretty simple, to a nut attached to the tripod socket of your camera you attach a long string with a loop attached to it. You make the length equal to your comfortable height. You then drop the string, step into the loop and have a pretty decent tripod. No, you won't get really long exposures, but you should be able to pick up two stops.</p>

<p>Ray,</p>

<p>I've been to the top in the evening and I can say that there is no way to get a photo from the top with the streaks going round it (you would need to lean way over the edge and of course there are barriers). However, I was able to take photos of several radiating streets going out from the Arc, and got some cool images as a result. I didn't use a tripod (there were two guards on top) but it was easy enough to position my camera on the ledge and use a longish shutter speed. Otherwise I would suggest some of the other posters suggestions and either get streaks racing round the base from street level (I've used tripods many times in the streets of Paris, just don't place yourself in busy areas), or go to the Eiffel Tower and try from there.</p>

<p>Thanks i don't want to be on top of the arc. Maybe is there a hotel or restaurant near by that I can point the camera down and frame the arc in my frame and shoot it with the roads around it at night? Long exposure on tripod to get the streaks?</p>