looking for a camera with a quiet shutter....

jr stevens

<p>I share your pain. I hate a loud shutter, and kept a Nikon F100 exactly one day due to the shutter on it. It's actually probably a mirror slap on most of these cameras, but whatever it is it's highly annoying to some people and completely a non factor to others. If you want a quiet film camera the Nikon N80 has the quietest shutter I've ever used (on a SLR). Nice little cameras and very inexpensive. The viewfinder isn't as large as the one on the camera you have, but it's acceptable, especially if you shoot AF lenses.</p>

<p>Funny what Dara says about the Leica R5. Mine has the loudest shutter on any camera that I own. I complain endlessly about it. Maybe I've got a bad one, but others have complained about it as well. Whole camera shakes at slow speeds. However, I once had the wife click the shutter a few times about 3 feet from me and I barely noticed it, so it's mostly the photographer hearing it, not the subject.</p>

<p>There are lots of cameras with very quiet shutters. For a classic SLR I highly suggest an Olympus Om1-n or for AE exposure an Oly Om2n. Very quiet. My FE's can not compete with the oly's when it comes to shutter noise and mirror slap. Actually for classic collecting I've sold off my old Nikon gear to purchase Oylmpus equipment because it impressed me that much. My OM2n is the SLR for Leica M7 users who need an slr. Also I agree the Nikon N80 is very quiet if you want a more modern camera.</p>

<p>My first SLR, a Minolta SRT-201 was also the quietest camera I've ever used. Cloth shutter, manual everything, exceedingly good viewfinder and probably impossible to find in good condition now. <br>

The winding was the loudest part, but even that was pretty silent if you did it at a reasonable speed.</p>

<p>Second the Hexar AF. The silent mode is inaudible to the <em>photographer </em> if there is any kind of ambient noise in the room, and that includes winding the film. It's a very special machine with a few quirks.<br>

I handled a pentax k20d - SLRs have come a long way, and it was surprisingly quiet - i'd say moreso than some cameras with noisy leaf shutter mechanisms that i have owned.</p>