Going to London. Need film and lab advice.

<p>Hi all,<br />So I'm off to London for the first time in two weeks for two weeks.<br />I haven't shot film for a while and in the past have shot Provia 400x slide film. However, I am thinking of shooting Tri-x exclusively for this trip, which I have never really used before but I am seeking a grainy nostalgic B&W look.<br />The plan is to take both my Leica M7s for the trip, one with Tri-x at 400 and the other Tri-x at 1600 for night shots.<br>

So questions:<br>

1. Is B&W film, and Tri-x in particular, a good idea for London weather/light at this time of year, or should I s tick with Provia?<br>

2. Assuming the B&W option, once I find a lab in London to process (I was actually thinking P eak Imaging via mail order) I was going to request D76 for processing. What would be the best technique/ t imes to advise the lab for 400 and 1600 ISO exposures with this developer?<br>

3. What are the chances of film rated at 1600 fogging, if sent via the mail system to Peak Imaging?<br>

4. Any other labs in London recommended for B&W (or E6)?<br>

Any advice appreciated.</p>

<p>Take one camera, and some extra film (maybe 10 rolls extra), instead of two. Leicas are expensive, film is cheap. Carry the 1 camera, and be prepared to rewind the roll when darkness arrives. Then insert the new roll, rated at 1600. Rewind in the morning. Then, either mark the film canisters at the frame you rewound at (say, frame 16), and reload it later advancing to where you left off (go to frame 18, to give a 1 frame buffer). Its easy to do. Just put your lens cap on, set highest shutter and aperature possible, and fire away advancing to the frame you need. Dont worry, it works out fine, I did this all the time with my Elan 7 (till I upgraded to the Dynax 7, which has mid roll rewind and advance).<br>

Or, just consider the roll completed when you rewind. Worst case, maybe 6-8 rolls are burned up this way. No big deal, thats why you brought extra film.<br>

In the meantime, you dont have to worry about/lug around a second camera body. Bring extra lenses if you want, or enjoy the Zen like freedom of focusing on only 1 camera.<br>

Also, I'd bring some Provia 400X also. There is lots of color in London. Think RedCoat Guards at Buckingham Palace. Again, just be mentally prepared to "burn" a roll/ finish it when you need to switch films. In the end, the cost of the film is miniscule.<br>

Final thought - Process it when you get home. You can have your film hand inspected on the way there leaving the US. Then carry on baggage x-rayed in London. Dont worry, I went all across Easten Europe having my film x-rayed (caryy on baggage x - ray machines, NOT check in baggage), and even my Centuria 1600 was fine when I got home. So, now I'm not so worried about this like I used to be.<br>

Have fun!</p>

<p>I always tavel with two cameras or two camera systems in case of breakdown. There's nothing worse than spending time trying to get a camera fixed in a strange city and knowing that you can't take pictures until you do. <br>

Personally I always have my film- colour or b&w processed by my "home" lab but if you want to have it done here then Bayeux, 78 Newman Street <a href="http://www.bayeux.co.uk">www.bayeux.co.uk</a> will get you slides in a couple of hours or so and b&w negs and a contact print the day after. They are just off Oxford Street right in the centre of London.</p>

<p>Colour or b&w is a matter of creative choice not conditions IMO and there are subjects in London very suitable for both. Two bodies; two films. Seems to work OK to me. </p>

<p>And bayeux, who are very good:<br /> www.bayeux.co.uk<br>

Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any specific questions. I've lived here all my life so I should be able to help you out.<br>

With regards to buying film, you can go to www.silverprint.co.uk or there are a few other stores about. One I use quite often is Calumet on Wardour Street. Both are excellent.</p>

<p>Great responses. Thanks.<br>

I will keep in mind the lab recommendations. Wow! Film processing is expensive in London...it is half the cost here in Australia...but I guess most things will be double the price...still, I'm not complaining...I'm really looking forward to this trip.<br>

Thanks for the offer Martin. I may drop you an email in a couple of days. Much appreciated.<br>

If anyone else has any further advice, please contribute.<br>

Cheers.</p>

<p>Well, I think there are cheaper places, like Snappy Snapps on Wardour Street, but I don't think they'll let you specifiy the developer and techniques you want to use.<br>

Bayeux are very much a pro lab, and charge pro prices.</p>

<p>The whole thing about London being grey is at least partially true.<br>

Even on a sunny day in May it probably wont be so sunny that you couldn't just shoot the whole role of tri-x rated at 1600, and never have to worry about the whole two cameras, or rewinding and reloading film issue.</p>