client canceled wedding photographer 11days b4 wedding

dara_harris1

<p>If you cancel, make dang sure you have something signed stating that the bride or who signed the wedding contract has cancelled your services. Also, for future weddings, a "<strong>deposit</strong>" can be requested to be returned. A "<strong>reservation fee</strong>" can not. To protect your future business, you may want to let this one go,,,</p>

<p>Chimera,<br>

A number of things to consider. Are you paid for the engagement and bridal portraits? Are they part of the contract?<br>

Try to negotiate a settlement and get a "release" of the contract in writing. Then run as far as you can in the other direction. Make sure the release is signed by whoever signed the original contract or it means nothing. These are not honorable people.<br>

You may be able to patch things up and photograph the wedding, but I'm sure you'll be sorry afterwards. These people have seen your work and you've already done 2 shoots for them. Don't force your services on them, it'll only come back to make your life miserable at some point....-Aimee<br>

PS .Don't assume that a customer selects another photographer just because of price. Put your ego aside. Know your competition, what they're offering and what their work is like. This is valuable information that you should always be on top of if you intent to compete.</p>

<p>I have ask for written notice from the bride to terminate(she signed contract)still dont have it,just had verbal contact from mom to terminate.There is no resolution on moms part.She just wants another photographer,I was shocked,because they loved everything at first,bought reprints. Bride and groom and mom meet me at first meeting and showed portfolio. Second meeting just bride and groom.Then they signed. <strong>Retainer fee</strong> states non refundable in event of cancellation.I did shoot artistic and traditional at both shoots. Tried to please,but my first time with this,I get along fantastic with everyone normally. Lesson learned, hope somebody else learns from my experience. Thanks again for advice</p>

<p>Dara,</p>

<p>I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, I strongly suggest you find a local lawyer to advise you of the law. </p>

<p>I don't know what your contract says, but I would think that you are still obligated to shoot the wedding, until you receive written notice from the signer of the original contract. The terms or your contract will tell you what needs to happen. </p>

<p>I would think that if you've only received a verbal response from mom and then don't show up at the wedding, then you could be sued for breech of contract as the contract was with the daughter. I wouldn't consider verbal notification from someone I don't have a contract with to be notice of termination. </p>

<p>Good Luck,</p>

<p>Isaac</p>

<p>If it were myself I would just bailout, dont know where you live but this can only<br />come back to haunt you give them a cost at wholesale and just let it go<br />I live in Reno NV and everyone KNOWS everyone and by trying to get full cost<br />will hert in the long run just do break even and consider yourself lucky as its only going to<br />get worse..... live and learn there is almost no way you can win your rep is all that you have<br />you are only as good as your last shot and if they tell all their friends and word gets<br />around where will you be cut your looses as quickly asap get it in writing</p>

<p>as implied by several reply posts.....your contract is with the "daughter", only she can cancel it and you must make sure she does it in writing. To a court of law the mother is not party to the contract and has nothing to do with the services you provide to the daughter. If the daughter does not cancel the contract, you will be in breach if you do not follow through and shot the wedding as contracted. It can be a sticky mess, but you must keep the legal aspects "clean" if you do not want to suffer further losses.</p>

<p><strong><em>"I have ask for written notice from the bride to terminate (she signed contract) still don’t have it, just had [spoken] contact from mom to terminate."</em></strong></p><p>I do not profess to know the ins and outs of your laws: but if this remains the situation on the day, I would arrive and fulfil my end of the deal. As John H states this is the prudent option, without any signed written instruction from the client to quit.</p><p>I add: I would have an assistant for this gig, one who likely would have a note pad and pen, and a mobile phone.</p><p>I am fond of diary notes. And also speed dial.</p><p>WW</p><p> </p>

<p><em>Also, for future weddings, a "<strong>deposit</strong>" can be requested to be returned. A "<strong>reservation fee</strong>" can not.</em><br>

<em></em><br>

Once again be aware that labels are not a be all and end all. While these terms are correctly described, its crucial that the contract be set up so that it really functionally works as a non-refundable hold the date type retainer. Gregory may not have intended to suggest titles alone are sufficient but so many seem to think it is, that clarification is in order.</p>

<p ><strong><em>"Tell me again why you wedding photographers do what you do? It can't be because it's fun...."</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >I assume the question is a tad tongue in cheek, but my answer centres on these general feelings </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Adrenaline, reasonable bucks, ego outlet, ability (now) to choose what, when and where, that sort of stuff, really. And I actually like shooting happy, energy charged events: most Weddings are. </p>

<p ><br />WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p>I am no attorney but in a case like this I am inclined to be a not so nice person.</p>

<p>Get the Red Wine and I recommend mushrooms and stilton to go with it. Have that ready.</p>

<p>Do nothing. If the only person you have heard from is the MoB then I think you would assume you still have a contract with the person who signed it. The Bride and Groom. If neither one of them have personally asked for you to terminate the contract, just show up ready to shoot. If they cancel the day of the wedding they will play all hell getting a cent back. </p>

<p>Or you can send a registered letter to the bride and groom telling them that the MOB tried to cancel your participation and that only they can do that. Remind them that the deposit is non-refundable. Leave it at that. If they want their money back make them offer a compromise. Otherwise keep the money. Remember that if they send you a letter, by the time all of this happens they will be canceling within days of the wedding.</p>

<p>Go home. Microwave the Stilton and Mushrooms. Open the red wine (hopefully a good Bordeaux) and watch wresteling. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Dear God, do NOT follow Rick's advice. Stilton should NEVER be microwaved!! :-)</p>

<p>Actually, Dara, if my math is correct (and it rarely is, so...) the wedding is on the 16th, right? Please let us know how this turned out.</p>

<p>Dara,<br>

If you don't have a written cancellation, then you MUST show up, ready to shoot as scheduled. Otherwise you're asking for trouble. If it were my, I would prepare a written document and make an appointment to meet with the bride and a witness and have it signed. If anyone else signed the contract, you need their signature as well. <br>

If you can't get this done ahead of time, bring it with you on the day of the wedding. You need written proof that she's cancelling the contract, otherwise you're obligated to provide the services and products that you agreed to....-Aimee</p>

<p>I would not marry that lady, sounds like the son-in-law is "cruzin for a brusin"<br>

just be careful and do what protects you finacially and professionally.<br>

bad things can happen , even months later<br>

"the witness" not some flakey friend is excellent if you do not get qa cancellation in writing and do show up ready to take photos<br>

if they "toss you out" be sure the witness is alert and right by your side.,<br>

maybe an off-duty policeman.</p>

<p>If you have a contract with the bride. And you don't show up to shoot because the brides mother told you not to. Then YOU (not the mother) are in violation fo the contract. </p>

<p>If you don't get written cancelation from the Bride (not Mom) then I think you might be obligated to shoot anyway. Be very careful here. The cancelation must come from the signer of the contract (not a 3rd party) and it should be in writing as well.</p>

<p>For all you know the bride may still think you are shooting and want you to.</p>