d200 vs d80 vs d90?

azn137

<p>If my post isn't in the right section, mods please move it to the right one.<br /> <br /> Before I ask my question, there are 2 things I want to say:<br /> 1) I lost my old D80+Sigma 105mm macro due to carelessness. Right now, I only have the nifty fifty and the kit lens 18-135mm from the lost D80 (plus some other junk).<br /> 2) Bestbuy is having their D200 on sale for $600.<br /> <br /> Now, I was able to come up with some cash, around $800. My question is, should I go with the D200, or the D90?<br /> <br /> D200: I think it's a really good deal for a body. I could use the leftover budget to obtain some glass, i.e. the new Sigma 10-20 f3.5 :) Needless to say, I need to hurry up and get the deal.<br /> D90: I think it's nice, with the new Expeed algorithm (adopted from D300), the 2MP extra, and the low light capability of the new CMOS sensor (ISO 200-3200). I'm not into the whole "high def video recording" thing, but I guess it doesn't hurt. Plus, the LCD is now bigger and provides richer colors (not really important either). The best price I found was around $800 body only. This, will leave me with the 2 lens I have for a while, as I have no leftover budget.<br /> <br /> I'm looking for you guys' opinions: if you guys have experienced with both models, please give me your thoughts. Otherwise, since I have a dilemma, I'm much open to your "what-would-you-do" response.<br /> <br /> Thanks.<br /> <br /> Tam.</p>

<p>I shoot a D200 and am quite happy with it, but if you were happy with your D80, then why not go for the D90? Essentially the same body with the D200's AF system (which is noticeably better than the D80, but not up to the D300 level in low light) and the D300's imaging sensor. The D200 gives you a clean 800 ISO and the D300/D90 give you a clean 1600 ISO out of the camera. That's a big difference that seems worth $200 to me (along with the additional newer technology you'll get over the now quite long in the tooth D200).</p>

<p>Guess my experiences with the D80 and D200 were atypical, I bought my D200 secondhand, and my girlfriend got the D80, so for a while both of them were available to me.<br>

The D200 felt much more reliable, sturdy, and ready for a long future with me, but I found myself going back to the D80 more and more, I consistently got better focusingresults (with the D200 I would often have misfocuses, no matter which lens I used) and lowlight shots (which I have a lot of, since I do lot's of theatrephotograpy) that were less noisy.<br>

From all the stories and reviews, the D90 seems to be an improved D80, so my choice would be simple; D90 over D200. Especially since you were/are used to the size and weight of the D80; the D200 really weighs a lot more. I was actually looking for something bigger, since that fits my hands better, but if you weren't...<br>

Good luck choosing (and I think you're lucky; IMO both choices won't be 'wrong', so it's not a bad situation to be in)!<br>

Joris (currently shooting a D300, but still enjoying his gf's D80 every now and then ;) )</p>

<p>Weather sealing, lower price, robust contruction vs no weather sealing, higher price, plastic construction and superior sensor. A person that uses a tripod a lot might appreciate the ISO 100 of the D200 and a person that does not use a tripod and likes to crank up the ISO probably would appreciate the ISO 1600 of the D90. Does the D90 have a wider dynamic range then the D200? I do not know the answer to that but it would be an important consideration. </p>

<p>I would probably choose a D90 over a D200, but it would depend ENTIRELY on what lenses I have (or didn't have) and what subjects I was shooting. You didn't mention that. The right answer might even be the new D5000 for you. What do you photo, what lenses do you already have, and what do you want a photo system to do for you?<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>D90. You've used the D80 so you pretty much know what the D200 is - take the D80, make it faster with a better AF system and more robust body and able to fully use AI lenses. It's got a very similar sensor and most of the same electronics. It will not take better pictures in any measurable way but will be better to use in some circumstances.</p>

<p>The D90 is more like your D80 in size, build and operation but with a newer sensor and newer electronics. There are conditions where it will let you get measurably better photos because of high ISO performance and better dynamic range handling. I find the color rendition better than the D80 as well, though I've never tried them side by side, and "Active D Lighting" is better than the previous generation in the D80. The megapixels aren't important but the sensor sensitivity is.</p>

<p>Personally I'd take the D90. If you want to shoot sports, the D200 might be better.</p>

<p>If you need a rugged body you only have one choice the D200. The D90 probably would be a better choice because it is newer. I have owned the D200 for 2 years and was thinking about upgrading this year. I still really enjoy my D200 though. After 2 years of use it still looks brand new. It is without a doubt the best built camera I've owned. The D90 would be lighter since it is plastic versus metal on the D200. However once your used to the feel and weight of a D200/D300, plastic bodies feel like toys. I also like the heavier body to balance out bigger/heavier lenses. As far as image quality goes, I know my D200 still exceeds my ability.</p>

<p>that Best Buy deal is pretty sweet, but... the D200 isn't an upgrade from D80 in terms of IQ, just build, AF, FPS, and works with more older nikon lenses. given the choice myself, i'd probably go for the d90, unless you plan on shooting in daylight at base ISO a lot.</p>

<p>I did actually look into the D5000, but no, it does not interest me. No wireless flash commander, and no old lens compatibility. Just bunch of bells and whitles I don't need.<br /> <br /> I really don't mind the plastic body of the D80/90. I've never had any experience with either D200/D300, but I'm sure I will be fine, as I was happy with my old D80. Moreover, I don't plan on using low ISO a lot. I mostly do macro, and sometimes indoor, which always involve high ISO.<br /> <br /> Looks like you guys' opinions are leaning towards the D90. Thanks a bunch for your inputs. I'll wait for another week or two, hopefully the D90's price will kinda come down a little.<br /> <br /> Thanks again, Tam.</p>

<p>I have a D200 and I've shot with a friend's D90 for a day. Personally for me, I'd take the D200 because of 5fps, AF, and external body controls and I've learned to deal with noise in post.</p>

<p>I'd recommend D90 for everyone else though.</p>

<p>"Does the D90 have a wider dynamic range then the D200? I do not know the answer to that but it would be an important consideration. "</p>

<p>The Nikon D90 has a considerably better dynamic range than the D200. In fact, it appears at the moment, to be the best APS-C camera available in terms of dynamic range.</p>

<p>Here's two links that show the dynamic range (one from DxO Mark, the other from Imaging Resource (Imatest Result):</p>

<p><a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/294%7C0/(appareil2)/203%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon">http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/294%7C0/(appareil2)/203%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon</a></p>

<p><a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D90/D90IMATEST.HTM">http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D90/D90IMATEST.HTM</a></p>

<p>Jim</p>