Doing photos of cars

<p>I am going to shoot some photos for friends of thier cars, I use a Nikon d40. is there any hints or tricks that any one would like to share. I have taken a few before, but was not to happy with them, Not sure at this time what kind of back drop, most likey I will just use whats avil. just not sure of angle, time of day etc. Thank you Steve</p>

<p>Hello Steve,<br>

Good ideas? Hmmm. 1) How about group photos--friends gathered around the car. 2) take photos of hubcaps,fenders and interiors in part. 3) The girl on the hood as an ornament is a classic. 4) Driver behind the wheel. 5) try different angles of the cars by you sitting in front of the car and taking a photo from that position or get under the care and take a photo of the underbelly of the car. 6) pop open the hood and check out the engine. 7)Do a self-portrait in the rearview mirror. 8) ever watch the movie GREASE with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John when the guys are at the garage and getting ready to work on the car and they do this dance thing? So,cool. How about taking a picture of the sky refelcted on the back windshield--I recently did take a picture whileI was on the bus and the back of someone's care was reflecting the sky and clouds and it came out better than I expected and 8) how about everyone sits on the hood and place their feet on the bumper and you take a photo of their footwear & bumper? How many ways to take a phtos of friends and their cars...let me count the ways. Be creative have fun and good luck. Don't forget close ups also.</p>

For outdoors, the best time of day would be 1/2 hour before and after sunset when there are no hard shadows, just soft light. Or an overcast day. An open field would be good, just make sure you are high enough so there are no trees growing out of the roof of the car. You don't want any distractions in the background, not even a house.
James G. Dainis

<p>Steve,</p>

<p>Be careful of "specular reflections." These are those bright points of light that often reflect off chrome etc...Really destroys what otherwise might be a good shot.</p>

<p>Although the car magazines will give you some great posing ideas, don't expect results even close. If you have ever had the opportunity to see a photo shoot of a car for a magazine, you will understand what I'm talking about. Rarely are they shot outside. I did a shoot for a auto mag a few times..The room was rented and essentially what you have is a giant light tent with multiple strobes, scrims, gobos and the list goes on.</p>

<p>You might try shooting at night with plenty of available light. Perhaps some wild neon signs in the background; a shopping mall perhaps?</p>

<p>all the best,</p>

<p>Pete</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My 2 cents worth...<br />I have always heard these 'rules' for automotive photos.<br />Keep all the windows rolled up. (Does not apply to convertibles with the top down of course)<br />Keep the front wheels pointed straight ahead or nearly so.<br />Make sure you have an uncluttered background unless the shot is a 'location' shot and meant to be a part of the overall effect.<br>

I like to keep a polarizer handy in case the reflections on the car windows are distracting.<br />Happy shooting!</p>

<p>I would suggest shooting from angles that others don't. For instance, bring a 6 foot ladder and shoot down on the car. Shoot LOW angles. Find the aspect of the cat that makes it unique and zoom in on it. Oh, and wet concrete or backtop always looks better, in my opinion.</p>

<p> </p>