Dummy Cameras

<p>I was reading a popular photography magazine today from 1957. It had an ad by Edmund Scientific advertising a book for sale titled "Dummy Cameras". Just wondered if anyone knows what that might be about. I looked on amazon and ebay but can't find the book. Thanks.</p>

<p>I don't know the book, but the term is normally used to describe objects that are made to look like cameras, but actually aren't. This might include a) fake cameras (virtually undistinguishable from the real ones) for display or presentation/advertising purposes, b) objects with a specific function on their own that are shaped to more or less resemble a camera (from decanters to ashtrays and flower pots), c) toys and novelty gadgets.</p>

<p>Patrick,</p>

<p>Thanks! I'll take that as a compliment. I'm getting along OK with my modern D90.... <g></p>

<p>Actually, I mostly agree with you. I end up often shooting it in manual mode, using match-needle and gut feel about subject brightness. Not much different than a classic camera when used that way.</p>

<p>But all's not lost. Thanks to Josh Root's nice writeup about the new Ektar film, I've got a couple rolls just waiting to be run through my Widelux....</p>

<p>The term "Dummy Camera" was applied to a camera (or lens) that was not quite complete. In other words, it was missing some internal mechanism/s that varied from one small part to the complete innards due to production line errors. <br>

This was usually a camera or lens that did not pass the JCII (?) standards. It was subsequently supplied for advertising purposes to the major retail outlets for demonstration purposes of the ins and outs of the workings of the mechanical/optical marvel of the day.<br>

When that model of camera or lens was superceded, the "Dummy" was usually discarded. These "Dummy's" have since become collectors items in their own right.<br>

I know that Nikon provided "Dummy" cameras and lenses from the 'S', 'F' and 'F2' eras. These cameras and lenses have been documented in various books on Nikon cameras and lenses by a number of authors. It is possible that "Dummy" cameras and lenses exist from then up to the present autofocus era.<br>

I am sure that Canon did likewise, as those times of trying to gain market supremacy for their products became a paramount goal for the two main rival companies supplying professional camera equipment.</p>

<p>These really are dummy's, ie just a case and a flashing light to fool the would be bandits into thinking there is a surveillance system in operation.<br>

One of the most amusing service call outs I had, in a previous life as an electronics tech, was a call to a bank to fix their surveillance camera. I didn't know anything about them but I went along anyway. It seems that the flashing lamp had failed in their dummy camera, and I was called out to fit a new globe. Hi tech indeed.</p>