Pulitzer - Breaking News Photography

rumelo.amor

<p >For a distinguished example of breaking news photography in black and white or color, which may consist of a photograph or photographs, a sequence or an album, in print or online or both, Ten thousand dollars ($10,000).</p>

<!-- /views-list-citation.tpl.php --> <!-- views-list-citation.tpl.php --> <!-- /views-list-citation.tpl.php --> <!-- views-list-citation.tpl.php -->

<p >Awarded to <strong>Patrick Farrell</strong> of <em>The Miami Herald</em> for his provocative, impeccably composed images of despair after Hurricane Ike and other lethal storms caused a humanitarian disaster in Haiti.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >http://www.pulitzer.org/works/2009-Breaking-News-Photography</p>

<p>Thanks for the link, Rumelo. It's a powerful folder.<br>

While visiting the Pulitzer site, viewers can also check out the work of New York Times photographer Damon Winter, who won this year's Pulitzer for feature photography with his series on the presidential campaign of Barack Obama.</p>

<p>Thanks for the link! What a powerful and touching series of photos! I guess this is why people pay for stuff like this, for us to truely feel and hopefully take actions for the pain and grief of such terrible events...</p>

<p>Thanks rumelo! As others have said, some truly great photojournalism. I just watched the video here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/breaking-news/story/1008884.html Mr. Farrell talks movingly about how almost immediately after his images were published, offers of help came pouring in!</p>

<p>As a photographer I can't help marveling at the quality of the images, too. I can only assume that they must certainly be digital captures given the nature of his newspaper work. Does anyone know for sure what total system was used? I'm anything but an equipment or technology fanatic, but still, am very curious about what tools are needed to capture images like these, and with that kind of quality for photojournalism. And please don't take me the wrong way, as I know the skill and experience part of the equation is paramount. Thanks for any input that can be provided on this hardware aspect of modern photojournalism.</p>

<p>i'm not a professional photojournalist but it seems to me that the most important variable in getting those type of images is being there. of course, you have to be a great photographer/artist but you have to have access to such subjects and situations.<br>

some images remind me of Salgado's work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Feasting on the shock value of terrible events.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So why don't we do an experiment. Separate people randomly into two groups. Show one group this headline, without pictures: "800 Haitians Dead, 1 Million Homeless." Then show the other group this series of photographs. Which group do you think will be more affected and understand the magnitude of what has happened? Which group do you think will be more motivated to help?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just never understand why people pay for stuff like this.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Me neither, because as everyone knows, newspapers and news photographers are just absolutely rolling in money these days. Bastards should do this on their own dime. Oh, wait...</p>