Using a non-dedicated flash on a Canon body

tom_kat

<p>Buy a Wein 'Safe Sync' to protect your camera. Not every flash unit is safe to use due to the voltages involved. Using a Safe Sync lets you hook just about anything up with no worries about voltages....and they are cheap compared to your camera....<br>

Whether the flash has the contacts necessary to fire with a regular sync is another question. Some dedicated flash units work only on a specific brand or model.</p>

<p>I used Yashica CS-230 before got 420EX and it works without AF assist beam. It's my old flash from film days on my Yashica AF and it's measured about 3 volts so I could use it safely.</p>

<p>If the voltage of your flash is higher than 6v you should not use it on your camera. So many cheap China-brand flashes these days, made for EOS DSLR and they support E-TTL.</p>

<p>If I were you I would get a cheap flash with working AF assist-beam, get a cheap optical trigger and use that Minolta as a slave. You'll have fun experiments with them.</p>

<p>Few thing you should look for. First, is it a TTL (thru the lens metering) flash. TTL flash function are not compatible between brand nor between film and digital within Canon. If it is, you want to check if you can adjust the flash's manual output power. If yes, it could be a good fill flash or manual flash. If not, toss it with other electronic re-cycles. Next check to see if it has the old thryristor auto mode (aka: You set and match the aperture on body with the flash. The flash control the output via a sensor on the flash (not TTL). If yes, you can use it as an auto flash but you should check the sync voltage first. It is easy to check sync voltage. Just put a voltage meter accross the hot shoe while the flash is on. I would use it if it is below 50V. Unless you have an old 10D, other Canon DSLR can handle 250V, so there is a lot of room for voltage swing at 50V. Note: Quantum mechanic physic at work so you take your own risk. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html I checked this link but didn't see the OFM version. Check the flash with a multimeter. If it's over 6 volts, Canon will tell you to use a safe sync. Others will tell you that its fine up to 250 volts. I have yet to get Canon to admit that. Either way you should at least know the voltage of the flash so that you can make an informed decision.</p>

<p>On a side note, a 'Safe Sync' costs aroung $50 American. You can probably get another flash without a high sync voltage for about the same. You just have to look around for it.</p>

<p>You can certainly use it. If it's an auto Thyristor just set aperture and let it rip. If it has manual settings use them and also use M on the camera and you can use it just like you would a strobe. A meter helps in this case but not needed. If it's TTL only, toss it, it won't work.</p>