What's your favourite FD body, and why?

mark_pierlot

<p>I still use the FTb with 50mm 1.4 that my dad bought new when I was 6. The camera I learned how to take pictures with, the camera I've dropped from trees and trudged through many a field and ditch in search of the elusive perfect photo. The camera and lens combo I've done numerous weddings with... yes people make fun of me, I don't care. I still use it whenever I don't want to look like a tourist shooting something. Or when I think I might need a weapon; it makes a decent enough club. <br>

That and I've bought several of them at flea markets for an average of $20 each, so if I drop another one or club someone with it, I have spares.</p>

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>#1 on my list has to be the T90. I have two of em and used them extensively when I shot motor sports. Days at the track can be tough on the gear and both worked flawlessly, all the time. Excellent ergonomics and features that always supported me and made whatever it was I wanted to do, easier to do. 2nd is my early F1. This was my dream camera back when it was new (I was in Jr. High) and I'm still jazzed to own it.<br>

On the earlier mentioned Canon vs Nikon thing, I thought I'd toss in an experience I'm having. When it was new, the Nikon F4S had quite a rep, it was considered one of, if not the best 35mm SLR on the market (I always thought the T90 was better :) ). Recently I came across a killer deal on an F4S w/Nikor 70-210 lens and brought it home...just cuz. I've been comparing it to the T90 and to tell the truth I'm a bit disappointed. The F4S meter was, in its day, supposed to be the best you could get but it can be fooled in situations where the T90 shines. The F4S is heavy and the ergonomics aren't as good. The only thing the F4S has over the T90 is its auto focus but thats so slow that in many cases I can manual focus faster, and definitely more reliably. The F4S is a cool camera but from a functional point of view I think the T90 is better.</p>

<p>Andy, I was being somewhat disingenuous in my remark about EOS users, since I am one. I'd have to agree with you that the 1V is one heck of a camera. It's the closest EOS body to a T90 that I've ever used, and I can honestly say that I do love it. I just wish I could say the same for my 5D Mark II...</p>

<p>The first Canon I used was the AV-1 which took some 'lying to" for it to shoot pictures I liked. When it got stolen I wasn't terribly upset because I had a few FD lenes so I purchased an A1 which did fine for me. I sent that one in for a CLA and purchased a AE-1p to take its place while my A1 was "in the hospital" (my sons exact words) Then I happened to get an F1n (mechanical shutter) Shooting with that with the 1-2000 speed makes it a joy to use ( works quite well with 1.4 V hearing aid batteries). It is hard to decide with my A1 with a power winder or my F1n. I have 6-8 FD lenses so it is hard to decide what I will shoot on any given day. ... or maybe my Mamiya needs a good workout. ............. UNDECIDED in Vancouver</p>

<p>My first ever SLR was a Canon FT-QL purchased new in vietnam in 1967 with a 50mm f/1.8 lens for $65. My next Canon SLR was a used F-1 in the 1990s. Next came an FTb purchased in the 2000s and converted to take 1.5v batteries. Then came the T90s.<br>

My favorite now is the T90 because of its silicon metering. I will getting a CLA on my F-1 and will have it converted to use 1.5v batteries, and that may make it my favorite. It is a very rugged camera.<br>

I wouldn't part with any of them.<br>

The only thing the T90 lacks is a mirror lock-up. 90 percent of my photos are with the range set to infinity so auto focus is not a big deal to me.</p>

<p>My favourite is definitely the EF...since I got it a year ago my AV-1, AT-1, AE-1P and FTbn have hardly seen the light of day. Unfortunately I can´t afford an F1 (old or new) and the accessories to go with it, but the EF´s quality is a real pleasure to use. Rather than the camera-as-tool camp, I´m from the camera-joy-to-use camp!</p>

<p>Of the Several Canon FD cameras I have, IE: F1 ( original ), EF, A1, and Ftb. I'd choose the EF for the pleasure of using and the readily available info in the viewfinder, not to mention the sound it makes. The trouble now tho is that I have gone digital and these real cameras are just potential for the junk bin .</p>

<p>I was an avid Canon shooter for parts of 2 decades...AE1, AE1 Program, A1 and the F1. By far my favorite was the F1...the last version with the AE finder FN. It was awesome. Just a pleasure to use and hold. I especially liked the match needle metering and that the screens could be changed to meet your metering requirements. A great camera!</p>

<p>If the house was on fire there are two things I would grab.My slide collection and the F1's.Everything else can be replaced.If I had to choose just one body it would be the F1N - the most satisfying material object I have ever owned.The look,feel in the hands,balance,simplicity,even the smell - nothing else like it in my FD or EOS collection. </p>

<p>For easy carry, and light weight, it's the black AV-1 with a 35, 28, or 24. This camera should have had adjustable exposure compensation, instead of a dummy button, but it's more likely to go out the door with me because of it's tiny size and reliability.<br>

For really serious film work, its the F-1N, even over the F-1n, which I also love. I am very tired of chasing battery compromises for my older F-1, but also dislike dealing with film rewind issues with my F-1N. None of my favorites is perfect. Like a wife (wives?), ya make a decision to love 'em based on the qualities that are most important. </p>

<p><!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

<p >I did live through the unfortunate circumstance of having my home burn down. It happened back in “89”, my two sons and I lived about an hour out of town where the response from the volunteers was good, but it still took half an hour before the fire truck arrived. We were quite lucky, we experienced about a 75% loss, it could have been much worse.</p>

<p >The day after the fire I immediately went looking for the slides, and the camera gear. Slides and negatives that were buried deep in books or files survived fairly well. The A1 and the AE1 were both thrown away, along with half a dozen lenses. After a CLA on my F1n and my EF you would never know they were exposed to the extreme heat. Other than the soot and dirt, I could have put either of them back to work the next day.</p>

<p >Today my FD collection is looking good, since the 89 event I've steadily added to the collection. Today the first camera in the vehicle is always my T90 along with whatever lenses I think I'll need. After that who knows what goes next. If I'm out for the macro shot, its the EF without fail, and thats why the EF never fails, just a super camera by any standard.</p>

<p >Thanks for asking.</p>

</p>

<p>Similar to many of the others</p>

<p>the camera I reach for first (when I choose FD) is the T90 as it is small (relative to a shutter priority new F1) has a great ,etering system and handles very well. In addition I always try and use both my T90s regularly</p>

<p>My Favourite is probably one of my two new F1s for their reliability and mechanical qualities - i do shoot them a lot less than the T90 however.</p>

<p>Emotionally my A1 was my first real SLR so I have a soft spot for it but rarely shoot it as the T90 meters better.</p>

<p>I guess my AE1 is the one I use least and i don't really know why I keep it</p>

<p>I shoot more picture with a DSLR (EOS 5DII or Panasonic G1 - usually with FD glass) but of my film camera options the FD cameras see the most shots. My other film options are EOS (two 1V bodies, a 1NRS and a 3), Contax G2 (two bodies - technically my wifes) a Fuji GX680 III (which i love but is very impractical) and a pait of Mamiya 645 pro / Pro TL</p>

<p>The reason i shoot Fd the most is probably a combination of the reasonable size and weight, the extensive FD lens collection I have and the quality of construction. To me FD bodies and lenses (the good ones anyway) are much better made than the EOS, Mamiya and Contax stuff with a loverly mechanical feel to them. The 85mm F1.2 is my most used lens and probably the second best one I own - only bettered by the Fuji 180mm F3.2 which is a rather exotic beast.</p>

<p>The EF. My EF from 1980 has worked flawlessly. Just picked up another EF body for 10,000 yen. The 50/1.4 lens was fried but the camera was pristine. I love the EF for its durability and its ergonomics. If only Leicas could be as tough as the EF.</p>

<p>My favorite FD body is my EF because........well put one in your hands, listen to it, admire the beauty and you'll understand.<br>

Also my favorite FD body is my black FTb for the same reasons the EF is my favorite FD body.<br>

My favorite FD body is my A-1 because it looks good and works good too.<br>

My favorite FD body is my T-90 but not because of the sounds it makes.<br>

My other favorite FD body is my AE-1 because it was my first new camera and my AT-1 because it was my second new camera.<br>

I think it's good to have a favorite camera for whatever reason.</p>

<p>My favorite is the New F1, such a wonderful piece of engineering; just to handle it is a pleasure and an invitation to take pictures. My second would be a T90, this one has it all and is easy to understand and handle, way better than the EOS.<br>

I will have to try the EF, given the rants it gets here!... Or maybe I shoudn't, wife's gonna kill me! ;-)</p>

<p>Just don't tell her, Jean-Bernard. Do you really think she'll be able to distinguish an EF from an F-1?</p>

<p>In the final analysis, I think I'm with you in the ranking: F-1N first, and T90 second (with the F-1n a close third). But I disagree with you that the T90 is "way better" than all of the EOS bodies; the 1V is almost as good as the T90, at least IMHO.</p>

<p>Thank you very much everyone for contributing to this very informal survey. Perhaps I should start another thread on our favourite FD lenses!</p>

<p>I havent found my One True Camera yet.. or maybe I have.<br>

My latest FD body is the F1New.. after I decided to go full on into the FD realm I figured I could invest in the top of the line camera. However it has some peculiarities that were not apparent beforehand. Oddities: 1. thought it had choice of spot or average metering. Found out that it was only by changing screens. 2. thought it had choice of Av or Tv metering.. Found out you need the ultra heavy winder for Tv. 3. rewind knob is on the top next to the shutter.. kinda worried I might hit it someday. 4. no exposure indicators of any kind while using the standard prism and in Av mode. 5. no exposure lock when useing spot or partial metering. (except by using manual)<br>

Things I like about the F1New.. very nice bright and clear screen. Heavy but getting used to it and now the lightweights seem too small. One of the few canon's that work well in Av mode. Precise and rugged build quality.</p>

<p>Ed's right, Darin. It sounds like you "need" a T90. When I have the luxury of extended periods of time to do my photography, it's the F-1N or F-1n that I use. But for typically hurried, everyday shooting, I reach for my T90 or one of my EOS bodies. As you've discovered, it's not exactly convenient changing focusing screens and other accessories to access the F-1N's different metering and exposure modes. But I guess that's the price you pay to use the finest SLR ever made...</p>

<p>Canon New F1 is my favorite. Why? Because I wanted one since I was a kid. I thought it was THE coolest camera in the world, and you don't get over that :) So now I have one, and its really everything I imagined it to be. The EF would probably be it if it wasn't for the rose coloured glasses of childhood favouring the New F1 - its flat out the most handsome, this-is-the-way-God-wants-SLS's-to-look piece of kit out there. It just looks, feels and works right, makes you feel good to look at it or through it... Very close second, love it to bits.</p>