Mamiya 645 Pro TL Mirror Lockup AE Prism not possible

newindustar

<p>I just received a Pro TL. I thas the FE-401 AE prism finder. The manual for this finder under Mirror lockup Photography section states:</p>

<p>"In the AE position "A" mirror lock-up is not possible. So during mirror-lock-up operations, be sure to photograph in manual mode.<br>

However it is possible in the AE Lock (AEL) position. While pressing down on the shutter release button half way, raise the mirror lock-up lever and than release the shutter. If at this time you leave your finger on the button for even an instant exposure will immediately lengthen. So be careful when taking photographs in this mode."</p>

<p>1. After reading this I am a bit (quite) confused. A and AEL are both positions on the shutter dial. I tried locking up the mirror in A and it did lock up so I am not sure what is not supossed to work.<br>

2. If you follow there AEL suggestion are they suggesting you attempt to operate the mirror up lever at the same time you are trying to hold the shutter button half way? It seems unlikely this would be successful.<br>

3. If at this time you leave your finger on the button for even an instant exposure will immediately lengthen. HUH? What does this mean.</p>

<p>Sometimes I miss the obvious or is it the translation from the Japanese? It seems terrible if you have to lose AV metering just because you want to lock up the mirror.</p>

<p>What am I missing here. Hopefully another user has practical experience and can explain this to me.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

I guess it's the metering that won't work. The meter is in the prism, and by locking the mirror up, you're not sending any light to the prism. That is, when the mirror is locked up, the meter can't see any light to measure, so you can't use it as the basis for auto exposure. </br></br>

The manouevre they're suggesting with AEL is to meter, and then lock the mirror up, while maintaining the half-pressure on the shutter button so the camera retains the exposure setting (the AE Lock function). It does sound fiddly, but maybe you'd get used to doing it. </br></br>

I don't see the point though. Rather, I'd meter first, then set the shutter speed manually, then lock the mirror up. You're then still using the same meter reading as you would for AE. You're only going to be using mirror lock on a tripod, so it's not going to slow you down to set the exposure manually.

Re your question 3, I think this has to be a mistake. I guess what's meant is that if you take the pressure <b>off</b> for an instant, the meter will take a new reading when you press it again, and since by then you'll have locked up the mirror, the meter will see darkness, and choose a very long exposure.

<p>Pete is correct. It's not as fiddly as it sounds. When using MLU you would use a cable release anyway (OK, you could use the self timer but this is not as good) so you half depress the cable release with one hand, and while continuing to hold it half depressed you lock up the mirror with the other, then fully press the cable release.</p>

<p>If you do this in AE, the camera will meter the scene with the mirror up and you will have a very long shutter speed as the camera tries to meter darkness...</p>

<p>I find it (AEL) better than setting manual shutter speed, one less thing to adjust each exposure.</p>

<p>If you can its definitely preferable to work in manual mode when you're using mirror-lockup. The main reason is that if you want to take multiple shots of the same scene, for example bracketing landscape shots (or simply waiting for a cloud to move etc) then in manual mode you can just leave the mirror up and shoot as many times as you want. If you rely on AE mode then you're going to have to drop the mirror every time to re-meter (although AE may keep the setting held if you can take a shot and not let go of the shutter/cable release past the half-depressed point, but I can't remember if this works or not - either way its impractical).</p>

<p>Yes I am sure you are correct. I am talented at missing the obvious at times. Actually it it quite nice to have that AEL lock option on a medium format camera. I expect to use it in conjunction with spot mode on a reguler basis. I suppose I should leave other metering discussions with this setup to a seperate discussion.</p>

<p>If one assumes you are going to be on tripod if using MLU than the suggested method would be quite workable and quite an advantage. Likely if trying to use this camera in fast action like a 35mm which is enabled by the AE prism in the first place one would be handheld and thus not using MLU anyway. This camera has a realtively good chance of getting successful street or travel shots hand held. For something static the traditional approcah would likely be easier. I'll be sure to try the AEL feature if on tripod.</p>

<p> </p>