Carry-On Luggage

<p>Hi ,<br>

This is my first time traveling with my gear and I understand I can bring my camera bag on the flight as carryon but can I bring a MONOPOD on the plane as well.... I feel they will think of it as a weapon.....I just want the monopod to make it to the destiantion</p>

<p>When in doubt, call the airlines and ask, giving a specific description of the item. Banned items are clearly defined on the carriers' websites. My experience is that they don't deviate too much from that. It doesn't have a sharp point or fire bullets, so you're in pretty good shape. The weight of the carry-on may be very importance now, so check that as well. Fifteen years ago Lufthansa already weighed carry-on bags. Different carriers do have slightly different restrictions, so check. Packing it in your hold luggage might be the safest; monopods and tripods are not the type of camera gear that stimulates the sticky finger types. I've flown numerous times with a $3000 Light & Motion underwater housing and a $1400 regulator in my hold luggage and never had a problem... but you can be sure that the camera body, lenses, and laptop go in the cabin with me. Although of lesser value, they are prime theft targets.</p>

<p>Why do you need a monopod on board? (That's a question you are likely to hear from TSA.) From a practical point of view, it will fit nicely in your checked baggage. TSA may or may not allow you to carry it on board. If not, you will have to return to the check-in counter, retrieve your luggage and start all over again with Security. Do you feel lucky?</p>

<p>Keith, I travel with two tripods and a monopod, as well as a backpack full of camera gear. The pods always go in the checked bag. Period.</p>

<p>Lots of years traveling and a ton of miles......... I have yet to lose the pods. Really, the people who have access to the bags could care less about them. OTOH, you load up your checked bag with camera bodies and lenses, you might be kissing them goodbye.....</p>

<p>You can't take a lot of basic items on airplanes anymore. Check the pod. FWIW, in the past few years, when I've been flying, I've seen an increase in the number of people who think they want to take everything on board. You can see them coming; they've all got the same little cube suitcase with wheels and extend-o handle.</p>

<p>I'd hang on to the camera bodies and a lens, laptop; bring some DVDs and a headphone for the layovers; pretty much check everything else. Check up on your baggage between stops; airlines don't automatically transfer baggage as much as they used to; just ask questions about baggage and transfers as you fly; you can figure it out. Overloading the carry-ons just takes away your already ridiculously small allowance of room. </p>

<p>You can't take club-type items such as hockey sticks or baseball bats on board so I really, really doubt they'd allow monopods or tripods since they are potential weapons. Don't expect the TSA to err on the side of leniency.</p>

<p>I ended up going with no camera support at all on a recent short trip because I wasn't going to need checked luggage, and I wasn't going to check a bag just so I could have a monopod with me. Thank goodness for VR.</p>

<p>The official rule is it's up to the inspector at the moment you go throught security. He can allow banned items on and ban items that are allowed. So, you have no way of knowing until after you've checked your bag and you are going throught security.</p>

<p>I wouldn't attempt a monopod as carry-on. I got asked some pretty firm questions about my gorillapod at Frankfurt a couple of weeks ago... I only managed to hold on to it when I showed the nice inspectors that it was completely flexible.</p>

<p>I have traveled with monopods in carry on bag two times during the last six months. TSA looked at it and the cameras and allowed me to take them with me. Most of the time I put the monopods in checked luggage so my carry on is lighter. Since TSA's response is unpredictable, I would suggest putting monopods in checked luggage. TSA has taken away things from me that they had allowed to go through several times in the past. One time I had to argue that my flash gun was harmless. The inspector after checking with her supervisor let it go but for a while it looked like I was going to lose it. Sandy</p>

<p>in my carry on i bring the thing i migth need;</p>

<p>camera, cf card, laptop, tooth brush, underware, tshirt..and a bathing suit..you never know when / how / why your flight may be delay and you stuck in a hotel room with only a camera wont help ; )</p>

<p>All the other tripod, monopod, extra HD etc...ar in the checked luggage.</p>