Takumar on a K10D

kfrog

<p>I have a K10D and have been using several of my Super-Takumar lenses with it. I have an authentic Pentax adaptor that just snaps into place with a short turn. Turn on the camera and on the screen is asks for the focal length. Scroll through until I get the correct number, enter it and start shooting. It works great. However, recently that screen asking for the focal length does not come up and now when I shoot the focus indicator doesn’t work. It’s as if there is no electrical contact. Has anyone had this problem?<br /> <br /> I just won a couple more Taks on Ebay and would hate to not be able to use them properly on my camera.</p>

<p>Is the manual focus switch in place? It sounds as though the camera has mistaken the lens for one with which it would communicate as though it were an automatic lens. </p>

<p>Also, if you don't want to mess with the shake reduction much, you can just pass up that focal length question with two taps on the shutter, probably. J.</p>

<p>The focus indicator doesn't come on at all even with normal lenses? How about the little hand symbol in the viewfinder for the SR, does it come on after a few seconds of holding down the shutter button?<br>

If everything works as normal with non-tak lenses, then maybe the contacts in the taks are dirty? Also, I screw the adapter onto the lens first then just screw the lens + adapter onto the camera...</p>

<p>I believe it has something to do with what contact is being made at the camera. All my M42 lenses allow SR and FI, but my T mount lens does not, nor do my K mount extension tubes. I think if you can get a peice of aluminum foil between the lens and camera over the contats it tkaes care of the issue, but i haven't tried it myself. Good luck!</p>

<p>The focus indicator works fine with a regular lens such as my FA50mm, DA18-250mm or my Tamron 90mm. All these lenses work as they always have. Shake reduction is good, focus indicator lights work fine and focus lock in the viewfinder is a ok. But put my adapter on and screw a Takumar in there and nothing works. No little hand symbol. I don't understand it. They all worked beautifully before. I took the batteries out of the body and my battery grip to make sure they were all charged up.<br>

I wonder if there is something with the adapter? It works as it has in the past. Snaps in positively. I put it on a lens first then put it on the camera. Still nothing.</p>

<p>Would the switch on the lens cause this problem? The one that goes between auto and manual? I can't remember what I have my lens set on... and this may sound real stupid, but could the adapter be inserted backwards???</p>

<p>Nothing is stupid at this point. I'm starting to get frustrated. I've had the lens on automatic and manual - no luck. You can't put the adapter in backwards. It has a flange that fits flush with the K-mount.</p>

<p>Found out what it was. It was in the Custom Menu. While I was setting the "Saving rotation info" I accedentally changed the setting just below it - "Using aperture ring." It was set to "1". I changed it back to "2" and now my Takumars work as they did before.<br>

Thanks to <em>Ron ~ Retired </em> over on dpreview.com</p>