Largest D200 Compact Flash?

kieran_mullen

I'm a lot like you. I keep my old cameras, even film cameras, if they continue to give great results. I still use my Nikon D1X for street photography on the weekends and shoot with my F, F3 and F5 film cameras on a regular basis. There's something special about using film cameras and knowing that you have to exploit all of your creativity to produce great shots the first time around, not knowing if you got anything at all. No delete buttons on film cameras.

I would still shooting film if film is not even more difficult to find and more expensive than CF cards. If I am happy with the camera when it was new I am happy with it forever unless it malfunctions.

• Like 1

I picked up a pile of new Transcend brand 4gb cards for about $8 each on Ebay not too long ago.

I've had to pick up some bigger cards since buying my D800, but still have a decent number in the 8-16gb range. To me, this is sort of a "sweet spot" for older cameras like my D2X and D70(plus the FinePix S3 Pro I just picked up as a curiosity). A D70 can get 1300 RAW files on an 8gb card, and a D2X about 550. That, to me, gives a good balance between running out without warning and also not having to carry huge numbers of cards while also not dumping too many on one card. The Finepix is a bit of a different story since-at least so far-I'm liking the JPEGs I get from "Velvia mode"(F2) better than what I can do with the RAW files, so I can cram a decent number even on a smallish card.

Granted going from the D2X to the D800 is a BIG leap and an 8gb card to me is uncomfortably small number of files. When I was playing with it in the shop before buying, the shop handed me a 512mb and I think it held 15-20.

BTW, I just finished a roll of Tri-X in my F3 this afternoon and am going to give my F5 a trial run with Velvia this weekend. I don't have trouble finding Velvia, but a 5 roll box of 35mm is in the same range as a nice 32gb card.