Purple or bluish edges of wildlife

timcurtis

<p>What causes the bluish or purple haze on the edges of my photos? I used a D300 with a Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 and a Quantaray 2x teleconverter. I'm getting the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR in the next couple of days and am wondering if it is just the bad quality of lens used or if it has something to do with settings. My shots of eagles in the trees cropped and resized have horrible bluish haze on the eagles and the branches and leaves.</p><div>00Syv4-122343884.JPG.51ebeed659794517878e0ef6bb80a830.JPG</div>

<p>Tim, this will probably happen every time you try this lens combo. There are only a couple ways to avoid this. The first is stop down the lens to at least f/16. The fringing might disappear but then diffraction will be evident and your shutter speed will be too slow to catch the bird in flight.</p>

<p>The other solution is to avoid using the t/c with this lens. You might have to stop down to f/8-11 even without the converter but eventually it will probably disappear. However, you will have to do more cropping.</p>

<p>Best guess, you may want to be at f/11. That means increasing your ISO substantially to obtain a fast enough shutter speed. The good news, the D300 is really quite good at ISO 1600 and at least workable at 3200 with decent NR software.</p>

<p>I agree.<br>

Specifically for this image, if the EXIF attached is correct for your image, then, IMO, you'd have been better to drop the x2 and pump the ISO to 800 and shoot at F8 ish and with the lens wound out to 300mm. IMO 1/160s is a bit slow for this type of shot, the wings also have some motion blur, I think.<br>

My bet is the x2 teleconverter adding to the fringing, more than the lens. <br>

WW<br>

</p>

<p>Take some shots, with that lens, and NO teleconverter. Your camera can do better than that. I suspect the TC is not the best and is messing up your shots. You spent a lot of money for that camera. Don't down grade it's performance with not so good optics in front of it.</p>

<p> </p>