Super mint canon f1 original - improvements

matt_mitchell

<p>I recently acquired one of these cameras from the 70s in perfect condition with box that looks like it has never ever been used. It comes with a fd 1.1.2 aspherical lens (whatever that means) also like new. I want to take it out to shoot some film but I don´t like the new look to it, kind of like new jeans. How can I get that cool brassing look you see on some of the old timers cameras? I tried steel wool but it doesnt have that smooth worn look. Any tips?</p>

<p>I don´t know about the dryer, it might damage the camera functions with all that banging around. Would a short time in the microwave help to soften the edges? (battery removed of course) I tied holding a lighter under the edges but all that did is burn my thumbs which makes it had to adjust the focus and aperture and flick the lever.</p>

<p>Matt - I agree Howard - use it regularly, and let it age naturally. The 55mm f/1.2 Aspherical is one of the great super-fast, standard-field-of-view lenses ever made. (In fact, I'd be happy to buy it from you if you're interested.) Happy shooting!</p>

<p>This is pretty funny.It is like saying I just found a mint 1967 427 Corvette in a barn and would like to use it as my daily beater so I can park my four year old Honda Accord in the garage as a future investment.If any of this is true (and I doubt it) please sell it to someone who will appreciate and care for it.</p>

<p>Do you think that a genuinely worn camera is a sign that the owner is a seasoned and capable photographer? What does does faking 'cool' ageing and wear and tear suggest?</p>

<p>If you don't know what a "fd 1.1.2 aspherical lens" means you really don't 'deserve' to own one IMO.</p>

<p>I eventually tried a blowtorch and then dragged it behind my my bicycle on an asphalt road....<br>

Come on guys of course I am joking all meant in good humour!!<br>

I got to admit though that brassing does give character to black bodied cameras, and unless you are gonna keep it on the shelf I don´t see why brassing is seen as a negative point.</p>

<p>Ha ha funny funny. I'll let this run today and then it goes bye bye. Unless someone can come up with a reason this should be archived.....</p>

<p>And to the single worth while question asked the reason Brassing is seen as a negitive point is it is an indication of wear. And like almost anything but wine and good Whiskey age and wear and tear does not increase value on a mechanical device.</p>

<p><em>OK 5 days late</em> .... But did you see <a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00QbB7"><em>this (link)</em> </a> <em> </em> in the Leica forum last year? Owner smashed-up a Leica M2 because he wanted it to look nicer, or some such nonsense .... etc!</p>

<p>Are you crazy? You have a beautiful precision instrument from the 1970s that works well and you want to damage it?<br>

You are a Philistine. Cameras are for photographing scenes, people or whatever you like, they are not bling for idiots.<br>

I've got a brassed up A1 that cost me 40 quid on ebay, works OK and I took it down to to Westminster early this morning on the tube. My only concession to altering the appearance is black tape over the logos ( I live in a rough part of London). I tried painting over the brassed bits with black enamel model paint. It didn't stick too well. You've got a nice F1 - leave it alone, don't ruin it - just go out and take some photos</p>

<p>Nick, I have very good luck with gloss black automotive touch-up paint that can be purchased at most automotive supply stores. Comes in a small container with a brush in the cap. You need a bit of a steady hand, but it does a very nice job and it stays on quite well. Two very thin coats much better than one thick one & don't try to re-brush once it has started to tack (about 1 minute), it makes for a rough finish. As far as the original intent of this thread - I just cant imagine! </p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>Funny thread!<br>

Remember those garish "hippie" camera straps from the 70s? With the monstrous metal buckles and extra-long clips just laying in wait for a virgin body? A couple hours swinging from one and your new camera looks like a press pool refugee!<br>

Don't go buyin' one unless you're ready to sport full-growth muttonchops.</p>