Hasselblad film vs. Mamiya ZD digital for landscape work

ken_lo

<p>I would also like to clarify a comment I made earlier in regards to post processing softwares. I am very familiar with Capture One, Aperture and CS2 as I have used all these extensively. What I meant about getting myself familiarized with post processing softwares was with the Hasselblad proprietary raw conversion softwares, i.e. Flexcolor and Phocus. These I have no prior experience with, but I believe I have the basic understanding of an efficient digital workflow.</p>

<p>Hi Ken<br>

A word of caution.<br>

Some years ago I went to Monument Valley with my wife as part of 3 weks in the USA. Photographic heaven!<br>

However, I used a new and very little used light meter which my wife had bought for me as a birthday gilf. I set the meter wrongly and ended up with 40 rolls of 120 film underexposed by 4 f stops!<br>

The moral of the story is, stick to the kit you already have and don't take something completly new to you on such an important trip. The kit you have is first class.<br>

I hope you have a great trip. Post some images upon your return.</p>

<p>"I think that the chance of you getting a shot in Yosemite, that you would want to enlarge and hang on your wall are low. There is no way that an amateur photographer..."<br>

Jerry, that's a little presumptuous.</p>

<p>Scott, you may have a point there. Then again, there are amateurs, and then there are amateurs...<br>

Ken seems to be all over the shop as regards equipment - 35mm panoramic...35mm digital...medium format film vs digital. None of which he seems very familiar with! By his own admission he has not exposed film in several years, neither has he had many "serious photo shooting opportunities" . He is an absolute beginner at medium format digital, yet now he plans to bring his newly purchased Hasselblad digital back , as his main recording medium for his trip of a lifetime to Yosemite. <br>

It all seems a bit experimental to me.<br>

Please do tell me Scott, how do you rate his chances of making a superb landscape photograph at Yosemite National Park?</p>

<p>In my experience, a substantial proportion of getting a good shot is simply being at the right place at the right time. I think Ken as sufficient experience with his cameras that if he spends a lot of time in the park, then he has an excellent chance of getting a superb landscape photograph. I wish him the best.</p>

<p>Jerry,<br>

I have no idea of Ken's abilities. But in your post you didn't say "there's no way Ken..."--you said "there's no way AN AMATEUR...can just show up." There are lot of amateurs that can take a great landscape photograph. I'd say that if Ken can recognize good light, has a good subject, and can focus correctly and not shake the camera, then, yes, he can get a great one.<br>

I will agree with those that advise him to limit his equipment. Hauling around bags of stuff on vacation can really get old. And whatever camera and lens you have out, it's always the wrong camera and lens.</p>

<p>I work out 5 or 6 times a week in the gym with heavy weight for decades and if it was my trip to hike and shoot I would take something like a Canon 5dII or Nikon D3x a wide angle zoom and a couple of tele primes and a carbon fiber tripod. I would not want to risk leaving my gear to bake in the car or get stolen. I would want to keep the weight down so I could enjoy hiking without worry of tripping or getting up or down hills. Any advantage of a medium format camera over the cameras I mentioned above mounted on a tripod is just not seen at 16x20 inch prints. Likely handheld shots of birds and animals is easier with autofocus, IS and advanced metering. Also HDR and stiching is easier with a 35mm dslr. I keep my cameras with me on trips at all times but getting great shots is not so dependant on how many lenses you have or how expensive your gear, remember what HCB and Galen used to get some of the most wonderful shots ever taken. Its more that you think of what you want for shot selection then the lens or camera all the gear mentioned are capable of satisfying shots its what frees you to spend less time worrying about the equipment and focusing in on the look you want to record.<br>

At any rate have a great time your going to a really wonderful park, make sure you pack lots of extra batteries charged and media.</p>

<p>ill go even more drastic than Harvey, and recommend something like a g9 or g10 only, with a cf series 1 pod or even a bogen 209 pod with a small ball head. the G9 and my 209 is my travel set up, sometimes add a 580 flash. I saw the light about 18 months ago, and no longer carry a slew of slr gear, the tradeoff isnt that advantageous, in my opinion, compared to the freedom of traveling light. Yes, I am picky, I shoot 4x5 and smaller, but the g9 images work for me in 90% of the cases....Tom</p>