Set a monoligh to a Studio

<p>Dear,<br>

This month I will send a Tokins Lens in trade to Adorama. I decided to pick up a Monolight in trade about 400 ws. This is going to a key light for portraits for while and them I will go for a 800ws.<br>

Does anyone have a tip choosing a brand and model taking in acount good features, recycle time, stops, and works with A/C and Batt pack. Range $400-$500.<br>

<a href="http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Flash/Lighting&cat2=Monolights&cat3=Monolights">http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Flash/Lighting&cat2=Monolights&cat3=Monolights</a> <br>

Thanks, Rubens</p>

<p>Those are the brands listed:<br>

Adorama <br />Comet <br />Elinchrom <br />Hensel <br />JTL <br />Bowens <br />Dynalite <br />Flashpoint <br />Interfit<br />Photographic <br />Multiblitz<br /> Novatron <br />Photoflex <br />Photogenic <br />Profoto <br />Savage <br />SP Studio Systems <br />Speedotron <br />Westcott</p>

<p>Ellis, I didn't say that I'd heard anything <em>bad </em>about Flashpoint lighting equipment just that I hadn't heard anything <em>good</em>.</p>

<p>But, a quick look at B&H's own information on Flashpoint flashes, which is their house brand, does reveal less than stellar specs, such as the power of their model lamps. </p>

<p>For example: model 320A is 150ws with only a 100w modeling lamp. Model 620A is 300ws with a slightly brighter though still insufficient 150w model lamp. Their 900ws model 1820A doesn't even list the wattage of their modeling lamp. <br>

Then there's this customer review on Adoram's own listing for the 900ws model 1820 monolight..</p>

<p ><em>"I shoot architecture and often need high light output. The price/power was attractive to me. I bought two 1820s and was initially pleased but one unit's pivot handle broke within the first couple months (cheap, flimsy plastic) and the same unit began having slow recycling times until finally burning out the flashtube (in less than a year of moderate use and gentle handling). [...] Oddly, the other unit has performed flawlessly!"</em></p>

<p ><em></em></p>

<p >So I guess you could say that at this time I <em>have</em> heard<em> bad</em> things about Flashpoint flashes.<br>

<em></em></p>