setting up a studio

<p>My daughter is graduating from college and I would like to set up a small photgraphy studio for her to use. She told me she wants strobe lighting. She has an existing buisiness doing freelance, mostly bands and nightclub events - wants to be able to do studio work too. Looking for good start up lights/kit below $1000. Any suggestions?</p><div>00SuW6-120375684.jpg.25eda76dc4976151e8d3ae4c4a815b1e.jpg</div>

<p>What a rockin' Mom <em>you</em> are!<br /> <br /> I hate to turn this into a 20-questions sort of thing, but alas, the devil's in the details!<br /> <br /> Without (yet!) getting into all of the nitty gritty, suffice it to say that $1000 will easily get her a couple of good strobes, stands, a softbox, an umbrella, and even a radio trigger/slave pair so she can work comfortably. The good folks at Paul Buff's www.AlienBees.com web site can really get her going within that sort of budget, and with stuff on which she can build.<br /> <br /> The Details-Devil comes in when we have to talk about whether she needs a backdrop stand, muslin or seamless paper, and some of the other inevitable odds and ends that can add up a bit. Additional light modifiers (honeycombs, barn doors and the like) are going to need to make an appearance at some point, but $1000 will certainly get the ball rolling, and quite functionally.<br /> <br /> You might indeed want to head to AlienBees.com, note their toll free number, and call them on Monday. They're in Tennessee - and a great company to deal with. They'll gladly take returns, make exchanges, and provide very good, cheerful support on the use of their gear. Best of luck, and thanks from the young photographer in all of us for what you're doing!</p>

<p>Susan, I think this is great, but lighting and cameras can be some what personal for some people. It's possible your daughter doesn't care, but I'd gather some additional information to make sure such a great gesture really comes through.</p>

<p>First, there's two "styles" of strobes: monolights, and pack and head systems. The above are monolights. If she wnats a Pack system, I'd recommend the Dynalite RK5-1100 Road Series 500 Watt/Second One Head ($999.99 at B&H). It's a very light system froma very respectable brand. If she's doing bands, she'll probably want a mobile location kit.</p>

<p>Also, if she's used strobes in college, she may already have a brand she'd like to start w/. I'd get a little more info before investing so much. </p>

<p>I know everybody is crazy about the Alien Bees, but I opted for the Photogenics Studio Max III starter kit, because of the large array of good quality accessories and the abilty to go mobile. <a href="http://www.photogenicpro.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=167&DEPARTMENT_ID=104">http://www.photogenicpro.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=167&DEPARTMENT_ID=104</a><br>

So far my order is still on backorder, because of a mistake made by B&H or Photogenics(I'm still anxiously waiting for my kit) so I can't tell you how good they really are, but I heard some pretty good reviews about them. <br>

The good thing about this kit is that it's AC/DC, so with the purchase of a DC battery pack($150) that only weighs 3lbs, you can set up on location very easily.<br>

If your daughter plans to do bang, bang, bang type shooting which requires fast recycling, I would recomend the Alien Bees , since they are fan cooled and have a very fast recycle times.</p>

<p>My 0.02 is that a basic kit of two Alien Bee's (one B800 and one B1600), two light stands, two umbrellas and one folding 42" white reflector should go a long way in getting her started and keep you under budget. Alien Bee does offer some kits that might lower your costs. In any case buying AB's are a well proven path to reliability and good value.  The only item left out for budget reasons is a flash meter (Sekonic L358 if you can afford it).</p>

<p>I don't know what size studio she is going to have access too but if its small then allow for gridded sources or at least sources that can be easily upgraded. Modifiers like umbrellas in small spaces are difficult to control as light bounces everywhere. If you think its going to be small space then invest in softboxes that take optional grids (e.g. photoflex). Alien bees also do beauty dishes with grids but probably outside of initial budget. Probably want some grids for the standard reflectors. </p>

<p>Hi Ms. Garczynski, <br>

I usually don't have much to say on these forums, but I think I might be able to lend some advice as a recent college graduate. When I first got out of school, last May, I was used to using great equipment, and thought I would never be able to achieve high quality studio photographs without them. Over the past year, I've been discovering creative ways to make photographs using the bare minimum.<br>

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have a professional studio, and I'm not saying my way is the best way, or even a good way, to start. But I wouldn't regret it for a second. It's amazing what I've learned.<br>

The most important assets for a beginning photographer is the passion for challenge, and a solid camera.</p>

<p>I vote for alien bees as well. I use them myself. Very affordable and an excellent starter set for your daughter. Thats an incredible gift =)<br>

Look at backdropoutlet.com for backdrops, props and other goodies. I bought pocket wizards, but you may be able to get elinchroms.<br>

Good luck,<br>

Natalie</p>