Seriously ... I have to trim my film leader in an M7 ?!

<p>All,</p>

<p>I got my M7 (very exciting -- my first Leica) and was surprised when I read the manual and it said when "refreshing" the film that I need to trim the leader. Please tell me I'm misunderstanding something. I do this for my older Canon RFs (LTM) but figured this was a charming remnant of the past ...</p>

<p>"The film leader must be trimmed as is the case with all ready to use films." Page 77. Leica M7.</p>

<p>What's odd is that the book never says a word about how to trim it (22-24 holes, 1/2 inch wide, ...)</p>

<p>I trimmed it and it loaded and shot great but is this really true? Tell me it ain't so! I'm tired of carrying manicure scissors with me when I travel with my RFs ...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it said when "refreshing" the film... "The film leader must be trimmed as is the case with all ready to use films."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's just bad translation. "Refreshing" of course means "changing." The other sentence should also read "The film leader must be tapered like the ones from ready-to-use (cartridge) films."</p>

<p>you don't need to...when I got my MP, the manual said the same thing, therefore, I tried, and it works. Then, I went on to rangfinder and Leica forum posting question if I should trim, been told, don't need, it is for older Leica ( I also have an old IIIc, and it did need trim the film...I didn't trim the film for my 1st roll, and end up, I was shooting blank, it didn't advance at all)...after that, I never trim film when using MP...with M7, you don't need to bother trimming the film...</p>

<p>Hey thanks everyone. It's not a big deal and I thought perhaps I was misunderstanding that awkward sentence (good interpretation, Fred C) which is why I threw it out here.</p>

<p>I found two typos in the manual which, considering I'm still glowing in the mystic of owning my first Leica, were rather a let down. What ... no proofreaders? C'mon Leica!</p>

<p>Ian ... I laughed my a** off at your comment. Thanks for starting my day with some good humor. Too bad I can't repeat it to anyone who'd understand what was funny about it. ("What's an M8? Is that a new model of BMW?")</p>

<p> </p>

<p>no need to trim... the trick is. and i learnt this with my first m a few years back after many frustrating mis-loads, is to make sure the teeth of the sprocket on the bottom right line up with the holes on the leader.<br>

easy as pie! </p>

<p>Enlighten us, what did the repair manual say about water pump repair?!<br>

(For the non-petrol heads, ALL VW's before 1970 or thereabouts are air cooled, hence do not have a water pump. VW only started with water cooling after they took over NSU).<br>

Anyway, even my 1963 M2 does not need to have a trimmed leader, so it's a fair bet a M7 does not need one either.</p>