Nikon D200 - Opinions, complaints & answers

markst33

<p><strong>However before I part with my hard earned cash I was hoping to get some opinions from people here who have one. Do they recommend as an upgrade, what sort of problems they have encountered that I should be aware of and also what number of shutter actuations I can expect from it so as to know what to look for in 2nd hand models.</strong><br>

Only main issue I can think off with my D200 is the battery lifespan. Much less shots per battery compared to the d40x I "upgraded" from. It helps to learn the camera's meter, trust the meter, and shoot with the instant playback off. The D200 meter is generally quite good anyways. Additional batteries (I have 3) help alot. Especially since I use it quite often in commander mode to trigger a sb600 in wireless mode.<br>

I bought mine used with about 17k shutter count. I'm pretty certain it is currently close to the 100k shutter count. Stlil kicks ass but as I bring it everywhere it's pretty worn out but holds up. <a href="00GMZO">See this</a> .</p>

<p>I have had the D200 for a little over two years now. It's been everywhere with me. Hiking, sailing and basically everywhere I go. It's a workhorse and a very nice camera. Best Buy as mentioned above has them for $649.00 which is a bargain for a new D200. IT's a strong camera with weather sealing, strong magnesium frame, lossless NEF file, ISO 100 (nice to help with slow shutter speeds for capturing motion). It also will function fully with AIS lenses..Basically at $649.00 it is a great bargain. I always carry a second battery. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm very happy with my D200. I do however, refuse to buy the plasitcy toy of a battery grip for it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, this is perhaps a bit harsh. I actually treated the battery grip pretty harshly, and it kept going. Only once, after a hour and a half under continuous rain, when I dryed the camera the only part which showed some vague sign of water infiltration was the MB-D200 battery door. But I have to say that even then it performed just fine. Sure, it does not have the feel of robustness (and the secundary joystick!!!) of the new MB-10. If I'm not mistaken, introduction prices were quite different as well.</p>

<p>I totally agree with Stephen Asprey, I had a D200 for a couple of years and it was a great camera except for the average AF system which has now been replaced. Here's a clue, Nikon totally changed the AF system with the advent of the D300, D90 meaning the D200 AF system needed overhauling. I now have a D90 and D300 and the AF system and ISO capabilities/results far exceed that of the D200. I wouldnt buy a D200 - its a backward step. The D90 is probably the best value digi SLR out there, fantastic images and great high ISO results plus a precise and smooth AF system.</p>

<p>Mark Stewart: A D50 to a D200 is essentially the same generation technology. I would skip it. Look at a D300. If it's too expensive right now, the summer may bring a D400, so the 300's price will drop. Be patient. IMO, buying a D200 would be a mistake.</p>

<p>I have had my D200 for just under 2 years now and I am still really happy with it. The contstruction is excellent, very rugged. I have not experienced the problems with short battery life like some of the other posters. That being said, I am live where it is really warm most of the time and I don't use a flash very often. The only thing about the D200 that bugs me at all is the higher ISO performance is poor, lots of noise. I never set it above ISO 400 unless I have to. </p>

<p>I held out on switching to digital from film for some time. The D200 was my first DSLR and I'm glad that I held out for it. It is probably the best deal for that price range. However, Tito has a point. Check to make sure that Nikon isn't going to release a newer model anytime soon that might push down the price of the D300. I don't keep up with that kind of stuff and bought my D200 only 1.5 months before they released the D300. I could have kicked myself for that one.</p>

<p>i recently upgraded from a D50 to a Fujifilm S5, which is a D200 with a fuji sensor. The exposure latitude and color rendition of the fuji sensor is absolutely superior to its nikon counterpart. the image buffer, however, is very slow. for fashion, glamour, weddings, or figure work get the fuji. for sports or photojournalism get the nikon. </p>

<p>Telling the OP about prices here in the US isn't much good, the OP lives in Dublin. Mark, Ffordes in Scotland have an EX++ D200 for £499. Brian above talks to the Fuji S5, Ffordes are still selling those <strong>new</strong> for £499! I bought an S5 from Ffordes last year and they were wonderful to deal with, I live in Boston and the body was here 3 days after I bought it.</p>

<p>The S5 is definitely slower than the D200 but the dynamic range of the Fuji is awesome. I've never used RAW with mine, the OOC JPEGs are so good they require very little post-processing in Photoshop. The camera is just brilliant but if you absolutely have to have good speed get the D200, a great upgrade from your D50. If you don't use RAW with the S5 (and you really don't need it) get a new S5 because the speed with JPEGs out of the camera is more than adequate for all but the most demanding pro user.</p>

<p>I have my D200 for about 2 years now and it is always a joy to use the camera. No complaints. I think this is a real "entry-level" camera that can introduce you into Nikon DSLR territory without causing you a fortune now. You have every pro feature to experiment with. Consistent metering system that takes AI lens. If you need absolute higt ISO performance you may move to D300 or D700, but you need to pay for the extra duty (and other improvements, FF).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Here's a clue, Nikon totally changed the AF system with the advent of the D300, D90 meaning the D200 AF system needed overhauling.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I was under the impression that the D90 shared the same CAM 1000 11 points AF sensor with the D200 and the D80... They might have upgraded the software, but its main flaw, the lack of off-center cross points, is still there in the D90. But I don't have a D90 so I have not tested for myself how it performs compared to the D200.</p>

<p>L.</p>

<p>I've owned by D200 for only a few weeks now, but I can say that I really enjoy using it. Have shot about 1,500 frames so far. I echo everyone's positive comments above.</p>

<p>One comment about the battery life: With the genuine Nikon EN-EL3e batteries (I have two of them), I was alarmed at first that I only got about 300-350 shots per charge (shooting RAW+ JPG). However, if you turn off the auto-review of shots in the menu, then you can easily get 700+ shots per charge. Much more if you shoot JPG only.</p>

<p>Good luck with your decision.</p>

<p>About batteries: don't forget that a brand new (or only a couple of weeks old) EN-EL3e will <em>improve</em> its capacity over time. The first several use/charge cycles will see the workable use time increase quite noticeably. Just run 'em down to about a quarter or third of their charge, charge them back up, and repeat - you'll see the effective use time at least double in short order, and then stay that way for a good long time - through hundreds of charge cycles.</p>

<p>Just to let everyone know, Bestbuys price IS very good. However I contacted them and they do NOT ship outside the US. Thanks for the feedback everyone. The D200 would seem to be the one alright. The D300 is way out of my price range and will remain so even if a D400 comes onto the market this summer. The same applies to the D90.</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>Once again thanks to everyone. I got my D200 2nd hand with a battery grip from a pro in England who saw my postings on the forum. 8700 actuations on it and it was in great condition. 2 Batteries, all manuals, cables etc and inc posting it cost €580 so I was happy. have it about 3 months now and loving it.<br>

Cheers everyone.</p>