Copal #0 playing up, any Aussie repairers?

steve_robb1

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

A couple of my copal 0's are playing up a bit (actually, they're ones I purchased 2nd hand). All speeds seem to be fine, but down past a certain speed (1/4th on one, and 1/15th on another) it's firing at what <em>seems</em> to be about a 60th. I thought that was a bit odd, I've had old shutters start to lag below 1/30th, but not speed up! <br>

so, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any repair places in Australia (I'm in Melbourne) that can repair these? Or, is there any possibility it's something I could tinker with myself? I'm technically minded, m ore on the raw electronics side than clockwork mechanisms, but if there's not too great a danger of completely cocking it up (pun intended :P ) I'm willing to have a go myself. Of course, it is always more comforting to k now that someone who actually knows what they're doing has taken the time to look it over.<br>

Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Steve <br>

�</p>

<p>Steve,<br>

I have no idea, but if anyone would know, then Mainline Photographics in Sydney, or perhaps even Baltronics, or CR Kennedy would know. Baltronics and CR Kennedy have there own service departments (are in Melbourne) , and use to sell LF gear and lenses. <br>

If you find out, can you post it here as I wouldn't mind knowing myself? One day I will have the same problem.</p>

<p>Steve,<br>

Do not take any shutter apart without a service manual for that shutter and a digital P&S that will do macro. Disassemble the shutter per the manual and take pictures of each stage of disassembly and verify that all parts are clear and visible. I killed a compur because I didn't but have repaired Graflex 1000, 1,2,and 3's, Kodak Supermatics, Ilex, and Wollensak Betax. I had a manual for the compur but it only covered the specialty stuff and the technical jargon was something else (if I had been trained on these shutters I would be an 11 on a scale of 1-10).<br>

Here is a trick or two to help get you by until you find a good repair shop. Remove the front and rear lens groups from the shutter. Submerse the shutter in Isopropyl Alcohol and let it soak for a minute or two then remove and operate the shutter several times at all speeds. Let the shutter dry fully and retest. An alternative to alcohol is to use electronic contact cleaner that states it is safe on plastics. Some shutters have rubberized or hard rubber shutter blades, nylon gears or bushings that will be damaged otherwise. Spray the contact cleaner into openings around the edge of the shutter, levers, or blades then operate several times wile wet and let dry.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Steve,</p>

<p>Try either The Camera Clinic in Collingwood (<a href="http://www.cameraclinic.com.au">www.<strong>camera</strong>clinic.com.au</a>) or Shutterbox in Hartwell (<a href="http://www.shutterbox.com.au/rep_photo.html">http://www.shutterbox.com.au/rep_photo.html</a>)</p>

<p>I have only used Shutterbox, but found them good AND honest.</p>

<p>Hope that helps,</p>

<p>Lachlan</p>