First annoying features of the 5D2

jamie_robertson2

<p>My 5D2 arrived today (after waiting 4 months!).</p>

<p>I am still amazed at how some basic things are so poorly designed by Canon after all the years of experience they have.</p>

<p>1. Battery door feels like it will last a week at best. The battery door on my old 350D (Rebel XT) is actually more solid.</p>

<p>2. Compact flash door does not inspire confidence. The CF door on my 350D is definitely better constructed.</p>

<p>3. New joystick control is too near the lip of the screen so moving it to the left is awkward.</p>

<p>4. Same awkward and stupid on/off switch. Feels like it's ready to snap off. Why they can't do it like the Rebel cameras or like Nikon is beyond me.</p>

<p>5. Mirror lock-up function is buried as usual. What's wrong with a simple switch?</p>

<p>Those are just my observations after 30 minutes of use. Many of you may like the features that I dislike so this is just my opinion. I did know about most of these irritations before I bought the camera and I am prepared to put up with them for the sake of the benefits of the 5D2. Nevertheless, I wish Canon would start using a bit more common sense.</p>

<p>Have to agree with 3, 4 and 5. Can't speak for 1 and 2.<br>

6 is that to zoom in on the display and check focus after shooting you have to press play, before hitting the + button.<br>

Mirror lockup is particularly stupidly implemented. Custom functions may have served a purpose when we were restricted to small LCDs, but why are they needed now that everything can be implemented through computer menus?</p>

<p><em>"Tell us when the battery or CF door actually falls off or the on/off switch snaps."</em><br>

<em></em><br>

Ha ha, I hope I don't have to Bob! I look after my gear so I expect they will survive. However, I do expect a bit better quality on a £2K camera. I didn't expect 1D build quality but I did expect it to be better than my 350D... it certainly isn't. It's bigger, heavier and has more features than a 350D but the general construction is no different.</p>

<p>Nevertheless, I am happy and it's still the best camera for my needs, regardless of cost.</p>

<p><em>"6 is that to zoom in on the display and check focus after shooting you have to press play, before hitting the + button."</em><br>

<br>

I can't see any way around that Geoff, unless they create a whole new pair of buttons for zooming in and out of a replayed image. If you try to zoom in during the 2 second image review period, the camera will naturally think you're wanting to change AF point to take another shot. Personally, I don't find it a problem.<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>I use a BG,so the battery door isn't an issue to me... the mirror lockup is annoying, but it can be set as part of your c1,c2, or c3 switch settings, .... the CF door reminds me too much of the batt door on the 550ex (not in a good way!)<br>

My biggest peeve: the joystick controller, but I think I'll get used to it, it's not bad...just not 'right'...</p>

<p>A couple of solution for mirror lock up in th 40D, which I think is applicable to the 5D II.<br>

1. I moved the custom function to My menu, so it's the first thing that shows up when I press menu.<br>

2. Assign the lock up along with the Av for example to one of the Cn on the mode dial.</p>

<p>I agree with Josh, I don't see problem with any of things you listed except maybe mirror lock up. Even that isn't so bad when you add it to "My Menu" settings and it defaults to that menu selection when ever you press the Menu button. Or you can add mirror lock up to one of the Custom selections.</p>

<p>Actually none of those points are an issue for me , I will agree with Bob here. I would have been happy with a rear finder shutter the rubber slide on is poor to say the least , mirror lock up as used by A Novisto sounds like a good option I never considered thank you A N. Looks like Jamie is not so impressed , my advise take a few shots you find so called problems dissapear once you see results.</p>

<p>I like my 5D MKII, I have made some terrific photographs with it, but I agree with item # 2 above. The CF door in my camera has a noticeable flex in it and makes a squeak sound that I can easily hear whenever I grab the camera, my 20D,40D and original 5D did not have this issue. Not a big deal but nothing I would expect from a $2700 camera.<br />Actually MLU in 5DMKII is much better than Nikon D700/D3. In the Nikons it is a separate physical position on the moode dial and cannot be combined with LV or self timer, with 5DII you can use MLU in any mode, that's why it is a menu item.</p>

<p>I own a 40D and 5D and I have to agree with the OP that the on/off switch should be moved to the top of the camera. I always turn teh camera off unintentionally when it is hanging either off my shoulders or in front of my belly. I wear a photographers vest and there is one button that always seems to hit the on/off switch and turn the camera off.</p>

<p>A MLU switch would be great as well - I sure don't need a stupid direct print button - instead give us the MLU function.</p>

<p>I've never had any issue with the Canon on/off switch. I've owned four Canon DSLRs, and I've never accidentally turned off any of them. The only time they've ever been turned off is when other people try them and assume they need to be turned off.</p>

<p>I have two issues with my 5D II and also wish it had a dedicated mirror lock up button. My main issues are:<br>

1 Why does it not have a viewfinder blind (like most of the better canon Film cameras or the 1 series digital) - the rubber thing on the strap barely fits and you have to remove the eyecup!<br>

2 Why does it not have a multi-spot metering system my T90, EOS 1V and EOS3 all do and they were cheaper bodies - I like multi spot - especially for black and white.<br>

Finally (and this probably applies to most digital SLRs) I find it a pain to set up - mainly because there are so many settings (mode, motor, exposure comp, metering, WB, AF, ISO, image type, ALO, bracketing etc...) The Panasonic G1 I bought to use old FD glass has similar issues so it is probably a feature of DSLRs. Unfortunately with all of the advances in technology the user interface has become very complicated. It leaves you to set your three custom modes for commonly used settings and then mess around for any more unusual shots. The T90 is probably the best handling / technology compromise Canon has built but the 1V is much faster in use than the 5DII. the problem seems to be the vast range of settings available - from beginner onwards. Has anyone here ever used face detection AF?</p>

<p>I've had my 5DII for about 3 weeks. Its my first DSLR and I love it.<br>

However, I'd have to agree with 1, 2 and 4. The battery and CF card door do not feel solid. As I mentioned previously when Arash posted several weeks ago, I do notice a subtle flex and squeek. Its kind of annoying, but I'll probably get used to it. I'd expect more from a $2700 camera. My Elan IIe has seen some battle and it still feels solid and no squeeks or flexing of any sort. Neverthelesss despite how careful I am with my cameras battle scars are expected and I'm hoping I'll never report that the doors have fallen off. The on/off is in an awkard place. I've used my father in laws digital rebel and the on/off is in a user friendly spot. On the 5DII it doesn't feel natural.<br>

Are the small things annoying to a degree? I think so. But overall I absolutely love this camera.</p>

<p>In my opinion, Canon has made a simple basic mistake with the EOS 5D (Both the Mk1 and the Mk2). They have designed it and marketed it as a one-size fits all camera. For beginners to advanced. They should realise that few beginners will be buying the 5D. Only serious amateurs and pros will buy it and those people generally know what they are doing with a camera. They don't need face detection, picture styles and dummy modes.</p>

<p>They should have made it along the lines of the EOS 3... a true semi-pro camera with decent build quality and the performance to match. The EOS 3 was a massive success and is still loved today. No doubt the 5D is loved too but it could have been just that little bit better.</p>

<p>I've had mine a couple of weeks and so far it is meeting or exceeding expectations. So far the only thing I've found less than ideal is the focusing points being grouped together in the middle of the screen, why couldn't they have been spaced out a bit? Other than that its a top piece of kit. I must admit that I do prefer the position and feel of the on/off switch on my 450D, but its a minor point.</p>

<p>Actually, with the 5D2 you don't need or even want old-fashioned MLU any more. That's because Live View goes one step further, and eliminates shutter action and its associated vibration. Upon releasing the shutter, the only sound I hear is that of the iris closing in the lens. Program one of your custom settings for "silent" Live View and you can switch to this mode any time.<br>

I don't like the CF door and all the creaking noises I hear when I lift my camera. I'd send it back but I'm using it too much.</p>

<p>I agree with Ken, the mlu discussion has become useless because of the one button live view direct access, I think its great option. You can even project a grid (two possibilities). I am not worried about the mentioned minors, I am more concerned with weather sealing problems that might occur after the quite dissapointing antarctica experience of the luminous landscape. (this dicussion has been done).</p>

<p>[[They should realise that few beginners will be buying the 5D. Only serious amateurs and pros will buy it and those people generally know what they are doing with a camera. They don't need face detection, picture styles and dummy modes.]]</p>

<p>I think you don't have a very good understanding of the camera market as it exists today. Canon wants and down-right needs beginners to buy this camera.</p>

<p>As an addition: I was very impressed after my first 30 minutes by the quality it delivers.<br>

I have my 5dMKII just a week now and it keeps amazing me , I shot a theatre production in dim light with results previously not possible. But nearly 48 GB needed for 1800 shots... thats a real problem :-) Battery capacity is great, I only needed to change after 6-7 hours working in the theatre with more then 1500 shots on the counter and still had about 20% left. I had no focussing problems with a rented 70-200 2.8 in these circumstances.<br>

My advice is to use it</p>

<p>Canon just hold back from giving people what they want in one go in the hope they will buy the next model. Look at the G series and how it evolved to the near perfection of the G10. They don't bury stuff in the menu on this model any more and it's built with love. They've given everything they've got on the G10 because they've reached the limit of the tiny sensor and the next generation will move onto a new line with a larger sensor. The 5D MKII is an amazing camera but I feel very early down the line of evolution and Canon will keep us hungry. As far as video goes it's a true MK1 first of its kind and will be looked back on as very limited on that front.</p>