I compared Eizo and NEC 30-inchers side-by-side!

<p>An electronics store near me had the Eizo Nanao FlexScan SX3031W and the NEC LCD3090WQXi on display, so I asked the salesman to set them up side by side and let me view some test photos on them. I'm interested in these two because I think they are the only 30" monitors (besides the much more expensive Eizo ColorEdge 30-incher) that rotate to portrait mode. For the record, I don't own an Eizo or an NEC and I am not biased in favor of either company. I just wanted to see which one looked better. Also, I am not a monitor expert, just an ordinary user.</p>

<p>We set both montors to Adobe RGB mode, native resolution, 100% brightness, and 6500K white balance. Both of them looked equally sharp. But it was pretty clear to both of us (me and the salesman) that the Eizo had a slight red-orange tint visible in light-colored areas, like light skin tones, light-colored walls, or an overcast sky. Blues (like clear skies or the ocean) also looked a bit dull or dirty on the Eizo, probably due to this red-orange tint problem. The NEC seemed to have a more natural-looking white balance, so light flesh tones and blue skies looked normal.</p>

<p>The second difference I noticed is that the Eizo seemed a little less bright than the NEC. Images with really bright areas, like a sunrise with the sun just peeking over the horizon, seemed a bit duller on the Eizo, while the NEC really let the brightness shine through. Also, details in dark areas (like the shirt pattern of a man standing in deep shadow) were easier to see on the NEC, while the Eizo was more likely to lose these details and show the area as just black.</p>

<p>I should note that these shortcomings of the Eizo were very minor. I would say the Eizo image quality is more than acceptable, and if I hadn't had it next to the NEC, I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong with it. I am sure I would be happy with either of these two monitors. But side by side, the NEC looked just a little bit better. I guess this is due to the NEC's H-IPS panel versus the Eizo's VA panel. Let me also note that I didn't do any calibration of these monitors beyond the settings mentioned above. I don't know whether a professional calibrator could set up the Eizo so that it looked more like the NEC.</p>

<p>Well, that's it for this mini-review. If anyone out there is a monitor expert and can tell me why my test was completely meaningless because I didn't adjust this or that setting, have at it!</p>

<p>honestly, without real calibration of both units, I think a lot of this totally anecdotal and without merit.<br>

is anyone going to buy a monitor at this level and not calibrate it? Monitor tests *abound* with stories of 'it was god awful bright or color variance was out of whack' before calibration but after, it was good, very good, lousy'<br>

Just my opinion.</p>

<p>Justin, what you were looking at was two monitors from different manufacturers, both operating at their respective default settings. In other words, it was apples vs. oranges. (Well, OK, more like Delicious vs. Granny Smith). Robert and Howard are right: Without calibration, the comparison is meaningless. Sorry......</p>

<p>Well, I did say, "If anyone out there is a monitor expert and can tell me why my test was completely meaningless because I didn't adjust this or that setting, have at it!" So, um, thanks, Robert.</p>

<p>I didn't calibrate the monitors because (1) they were on display in a store and I couldn't just whip out a Spyder 3 and tune 'em up, and (2) I've never calibrated a monitor and don't know how. Like William said, this was a look at the default settings of two monitors, because that's what I had to work with.</p>

<p>Personally, I would prefer to get the Eizo because it's about 20% cheaper than the NEC. So, do you guys think that if properly calibrated, the Eizo wouldn't have the problems I saw? That would be great. (Also, the Eizo doesn't support "hardware calibration", but the NEC does. How important a factor is that, and does it mean the Eizo can't be calibrated very well?)</p>

<p>I don't know anything about the EIZO but I do have the 26 inch version of the NEC and I am totally happy wth it - I bought the one bundled with the calibration tool and my monitor matches my print output very very closely.</p>

<p>While 20% is quite substantial at the price levels you are looking at, I would personally get the NEC - if for no other reason than you questioning yourself aftwerwards if the NEC might not have given you that tiny edge over the Eizo. Just my 2cents.</p>

<p>I've yet to see or hear what the Eizo provides for the additional money. What Juergen says makes sense to me.</p>

<p>Agreed that a better test would be to calibrate them, but keep in mind that they probably would not match anyway. In a prefect world, setting the WP to D50 or D65 (NOT using a Kelvin value which is a range of colors), they should match but I doubt they would. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Justin,<br>

Because of the panel type and in-monitor calibration (which preserves all levels available from the video card) I would buy the NEC, despite the slightly higher price (higher, Andrew, not lower). Sorry to hurt your feefings but I agree with others that your "evaluation" is pretty useless. Brightness is not an issue for image editing as EVERY LCD monitor's brightness needs to be lowered anyway.<br>

However, one point jumped at me. Where in heaven's name do you find an electronics store that has these kind of quality monitors on display? Please tell me where you found these as I would love to go and take a look for myself!</p>

<p>>I would buy the NEC, despite the slightly higher price (higher, Andrew, not lower).</p>

<p>Sorry, overlooked the specific Eizo model. There are those that are more expensive than the NEC. </p>

<p>>Brightness is not an issue for image editing as EVERY LCD monitor's brightness needs to be lowered anyway.</p>

<p>Good point. And in fact, one function worth looking into is which of the two displays you are evaluating can be controlled to a lower luminance than another. The Apple displays are very problematic as their minimum luminance is usually way too high. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Like others said, the test was invalid since the monitors were not calibrated and properly measured. Also don't put too much weight on brightness, the brightness must anyway be adjusted for the working area. I haven't seen any new screen that doesn't have sufficient brightness.</p>

<p>When i was ready 6-7 years ago to make the big jump and by myself my first real euqipment, such as my G5 and the new Apple Cinema Display..i call the store and ask them if they prefer i go into the store and calibrate the monitor in 3min and see how it was looking..or buy everything, bring it home, calibrate it and return everything in case it wont work as expected; they let me calibrated the monitor in store : )</p>

<p>I have done the same thing last year when i bought my NEC 26wuxi to replace my second generation ACD.</p>

<p>My point is if you are willing to pay 2000$ for a monitor, you should ask your vendor to calibrate it and have a look at them with your images on it. Then you will be able to make a better choice.</p>

<p>For what is worth; i dotn see why someone will not be happy with a NEC, and i dont see the point personnaly of getting a Eizo monitor if its more expensive..having a NEC, i would chose another NEC eyes close right now.</p>

<p>Oh and Justin, if you invite me in Tokyo, i migth go and have a look with you : )</p>

<p>You might as well close your eyes and start the, "eni, meni, miny, mo" thing. You lost me at the "no calibration" statement. Absolutely worthless to judge these two monitors in a showroom without calibration and without leaving them both on for 30 minutes or more before you calibrate them. Just a waste of time.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>without leaving them both on for 30 minutes or more before you calibrate them. Just a waste of time.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why? 30min was for CRT, in today modern time, i dont see the point of having any LCD turn ON for 30min before calibrating..5min maybe..but not 30min for sure. Maybe you can give me some good reason for that?</p>

<p>Ah, seems like an anti-Eizo crowd!</p>

<p>I bought the Eizo CG241W with h/w calibration, and prior to calibration, it was quite off in terms of being too hot (i.e., too red/yellow). After calibration with an i1 Display 2, it matches near perfectly my prints on an Epson 3850. Of course this experience can't be generalized. However, I can say it is 100s of miles beyond my non-pro Samsung and LG monitors, seems very accurate, and I love it!</p>

<p>How it compares with the NEC, I have no idea.</p>