First T&I Session, tell me how I did...

joe_rych

<p>Hi Joe - Good first effort. Next time, use wider aperture to blur the background. Also, that stack of silver objects in the bleachers, behind their heads is distracting. Also, you cut off some of their feet and knees in the individuals.<br>

Just a few things that you will look for naturally, as you do more of this.<br>

Keep shootin'<br>

steve</p>

<p>Steve, if you look closly at the proofs, the ones where you said I cut thier feet and knees. Its the same player as one with a full shot (look for the jersey numbers), I am giving the parents several shoices for thier childs individual. I have a full shot for each player. I shot this at 5.6, next time I'll shoot wider for more bokeh. Unfortunatly I to get the look I had to use the floor emblem from where I was, the silver was pretty much uavoidable.</p>

<p>Nathan,<br>

I used 2 Alien Bee 800 heads in shoot thru at 7' to camera right and left with PW triggers. Camera was a D300 with 17-55 2.8 on a Bogen carbon fiber tripod and a justrite bracket.</p>

<p>Actually, I would do the opposite and shoot with a narrower aperture on the portraits. By doing this you'll get more light fall off from the strobes and ultimately darken the background. You won't need to worry about the distracting reflections off the bleachers then. Play around with it and you'll see what I mean.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Not bad on portraits but here are some minor things I would do different. Shoot at a lower angle. You have them looking a little to much up to you. The #24 player is really noticeable with this. Use a main light and a secondary light. Both your lights seem to be at the same ratio, which is fine for a team. But for individuals the lightning is sort of flat and dull looking. Next you need to make a decision on whether you want the background visible or dark. If you want it dark you need to be at f/8 or f/11 at least. If you want to be use the ambient light to show the gym you need to be at f/2.8-4 range with slow shutter speed. You may want use the<a href="http://www.geocities.com/stalker+of+the+web/dragging.html" target="_blank"> Dragging the Shutter (aka Balanced Lighting)</a> .<br>

On the action shots you need faces. Services shots are nice and safe, but you really need faces. You need to move around a little. Look for digs, net shots and emotional shots. With the D300 you most likely do not need flash. Shoot at f/2.8.</p>

<p>1. Be more careful of background, the bleachers are distracting. (Even if there wasn't the break from the stairs there, bleachers are shiny and tend to reflect your flash so be aware of this.)<br>

2. Try to photograph at the level of the subject. (I personally try to keep the lens at chest level.) Shooting down on subject gives the feeling that they are small in the picture, something very unfavorable in sports especially boys. The only time I shoot downward is if there is no decent background or there is a logo on the floor the subject requests be in the photo.<br>

3. You took two photos as a 2 pose proof. Really give them 2 poses. The advantage of 2 poses is if parents like both they will buy more. This is reliant on there being a significant difference between the 2 photos. If they are very similar as the samples are, the parent will simply choose their favorite, (I think you'll find that a majority of the time the favorite will be crop with the whole shoe in) and you have simply wasted time in taking a second photo. If time limits you on the ability to pose a second shot, then drastically change the crop. Try a full length and a close-up where the head shoulders and top of the ball are the only things visible.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...