Strobes needed for Sunny Room Group Portrait?

tsuacctnt

<p>I'm taking a group photo tomorrow in a large room with a solid wall of windows on one side. At the time of the portrait the sun will be pouring light in through these windows - Southwest exposure in the afternoon. Should I bother lugging my strobes to try to fill in shadows or just make due with available light and an on-camera flash?</p>

<p> Yes, just in case your shadows are too strong.  Get a reading off the the faces... or an ambient reading falling into the room.   Gauge your softboxed light so that it is bracketed 2 stops, then 1 stop, then equal to the amount falling from direct sun.  (I had to do this once at a wedding reception, where the background was bright sunny snow all around a glass lodge.  I bounced 4 strobes off the ceiling from 13 feet to avoid reflections.  I believe my exposures were about 1 stop less than ambient full sun)  Try some shots with available light too.<br>

</p>

<p>It is probably better to be safe than sorry, it doesn't help matters that the windows all have a sort of blue green tinting to them. Ideally I think I would just use strobes as the main light but I don't think I have enough power to make that work. I just have a 400 w/s novatron head with three strobes. Works great in a dark room with just a few people but I'm not sure it will do the job in a bright room with twenty people. </p>

<p>Mark has an important point. If you have direct sunlight coming through the windows, it might actually be much more harsh that what you want. You could cover the windows with diffusion material as he suggests, or maybe even just close them off entirely (if they have heavy drapes) and light normally with your strobes. Even if the light from the windows is soft, it's forcing you to work in relation to the position of the window, which might or might be the best angle in relation to what makes the best background, how many people you have to get into the shot, and where the camera is going to be. Window light can be beautiful and make for a great picture, but it can also be a problem. I would hope that the window light turns out to be good, but I would definitely take my strobes in case it isn't.</p>