Printer advice sought

<p>Hi.<br /> <br /> I need some help with deciding which A3 printer to buy please.<br /> <br /> I print mostly black and white, and I currently use an HP7660, which has a dedicated 3 grey cartridge, which when used without a colour cartridge produces A4 prints I am very happy with. I particularly like the fact that I can just swap cartridges when I want to print colour, which although not very often, I do still do.<br /> <br /> If I were printing just black and white I would use a CIS, but that is not an option.<br /> <br /> I have been looking at the Epson 1400 and maybe a set of MIS UT14 black inks, but unless anyone knows of a UK importer of the MIS inks, that looks to be out as well, due to the shipping, customs, and VAT I would wind up paying.<br /> <br /> I know RIP software might be one option. Has anyone any out there had any sucess making quality B&W prints from the Epson 1400? I know it's not recommended for B&W, but my budget is around £300 and for reasons I won't go into, used is not an option for me, so neither the R3800 or the R2400 are an option :-(<br /> <br /> Any advice, recommendations, helpful hints or comments, all welcome.<br /> Thanks very much.<br /> Ian.</p>

<p>Qimage on Epson, but not particularly the 1400.... only know on the 7800. Also HP inks get a really nice black, and with Rip get great BW on Hp Z or the DJ 130 printers. although all these get you 24" wide, but the inks used on differnt footprint would be likely the same out the rip. I also use Efi rip on HP, not as mush control for BW like Q.</p>

<p>Oh, make sure you check out <a href="http://www.paulroark.com">Paul Roark's</a> site... and <a href="http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint">yahoo groups</a><br>

I've yet to really explore gloss papers, but Ilford Gold Silk, Epson Premium Presentation Matte, and and Ilford Gallerie Heavyweight Matte have all profiled quite easily.</p>

<p>I order MIS inks for my Epson R2400 and have them sent to me here in New Zealand. Costs a fortune in shipping and GST tax, but it's worth it. The savings over Epson carts is huge, and I can't see any difference in the results. I use professionally made paper profiles, and my B&W results are neutral (other than the warmth of the paper affecting tone), and the colour is accurate.</p>