Nikon 70-210mm f4-5.6D?

shawn_mcfarlane

<p>i like mine and still use it for high school indoor sports in my D200 with a monopod. it's push-pull so it really gets that long. it focuses real fast for me. i actually tried trimming down the weight factor a bit more by using the 70-300mm VR ($450). i got rid of the monopod and got excellent results, at least for high school basketball games of my granddaughter. in fact it got me thinking that the VR works great i might have been equally happy with the 55-200 VR for half the price ($220).</p>

<p>I inherited this lens from a relative's old F401 kit (along with a shitty 35-105 and some other stuff). This is the one 'keeper' from that gear.<br>

<br>

I find it very sharp and also to have a 'cold' character which suits photography of glass, rocks, metals, etc for some reason. Don't know the correct way to describe this but those of you who feel that lenses have a certain personality will understand.<br>

<br>

Anyway yes for me its a good-un!</p>

<p>I have had one since new. Actually mine is a Non D version which is optically identical to mine. The only significant difference apart from the new D chip, I think, is that the D lens has a faster auto-focus ratio. This can be good - faster focusing - but also might be bad - some claim the potential for more focus errors. All in all I like this era of AF lenses which have something of the build quality of the AIS lenses that cmae beffore them<br>

I like mine although its not a particularly sophisticated lens compared to today's crop. But it is solidly built (identical build to the great 35-70 f2.8) and takes fine photos if you can hold the damn thing still when its extended to its full length which is substantial. It is often seen on ebay for not much more than $100 US. I have thought of upgrading to another long lens but in truth I have no real reason to do so as this one is good although not great. I would not however say it is a good as some claim. But I certainly would not believe its detractors either. And at the price you now pay for one second hand you cannot go wrong.</p>

<p>"Some people rate the older 70-210 f/4 AF as significantly better:"</p>

<p>I had meant to mention that but forgot. I have however also read that some examples of that lens have focussing errors that can lead to problems. Not sure where I read it. Never the less it is one I have been tempted to try (although not yet) as its performance otherwise can be excellent it is widely said. YOou would need to make up your own mind as I have not tried it yet.</p>

<p>I will be a contrarian. We have the non-D version of this lens. I would rate is as fair, needing to be stopped down to F/8 to get decent sharpness, and not particularly pleasing at the long end. It is not as sharp as the 80-200mm F/4.5 AI zoom we have. I do not think this lens is excellent at any length.</p>