Nikkor 35/1.8 G photos

jbm

<p>My new 35/1.8 just arrived from Adorama and I fired off a few shots. First impressions: it is light, of medium size for a prime, build quality that seems okay for the price, and offers a 50mm field of view with roughly 35mm apparent depth characteristics. As such, it does not exactly approximate the view of a 50mm lens on full frame, but it's a nice lens to have and not too darned expensive.<br>

Problem: big time fringing, both purple and green. The D300 and it's ilk will pull this out automatically if you shoot JPEG but if you are shooting RAW...you will have to fix it in PS.<br>

I have included an image in this thread and also the URL to the larger (1500 px) image. Capture was via TIFF to keep the CA present for you to see...no other post. Of note, it was shot in Adobe RGB color space so the colors are a little flat when imported to the web which is sRGB.<br>

Anybody else have some first images with this new, fun lens?</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/8752914</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Jay</p>

<div>00SlrG-116607584.jpg.4493c387879421387c582e515dd18070.jpg</div>

<p>"offers a 50mm field of view with roughly 35mm apparent depth characteristics" - that is correct. Some people believe that the depth of field of a lens changes depending on the type/size of the camera sensor that the lens is mounted on, ... adding to the "circle of confusion" with more of confusion.</p>

<p>Ilkka, that is true regarding capture NX2, but it does not ship with the more entry level Nikons and not everyone uses it.<br>

Ilkka, regarding my statement of apparent depth...why don't you explain how spatial relationships vary based on lens focal length and sensor size? That would save me the embarrassment of giving a less than technically perfect explanation, being corrected by you, having the whole thread shift in another direction, have people eventually become impolite or downright rude, etc. You have, at present 9,547 posts and your understanding of optics well exceeds most humble amateurs, mine in particular. Maybe I am just flat out wrong, but the view through my lens just looks like it is more stretched out (objects appear further apart) than I ever remember when looking through my old F3 with a 50/1.4. So please fire away...<br>

Shash, the fringing is not really apparent unless you pixel peep and I guess the 1500 px image is not large enough to really see it. On the dog's whiskers and the highlight of his eye it is quite visible at anything larger than 50% from my D300. Then again, I was looking for it! It is certainly not a dealbreaker based on these first few images, but something to think about if you are planning to make an enormous print. Sometimes I print at 24x36" where every little imperfection is apparent.<br>

It seems Nikon has made a $200 lens that will be quite successful. I will post a few images when I get back from Nicaragua next week!</p>

<p>Jay, before I got to your last post I blew up the large version of the photo to look for CA on the whiskers :)</p>

<p>Not seeing any at that magnification is promising. Mine <em>just</em> arrived and I'm going to walk out the door now and look for something to photograph...</p>

<p>Hello Jay,<br>

I was wondering if the exposure is as spot-on with this new lens as it usually is with Nikon's own brand stuff... I've got a Sigma 30mm and it needs constant tweaking to get "perfect" exposure... A bit tempted by the new 35mm...<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Mart...<br>

It seems just fine so far to me with regards to exposure. It is a good value for the money, but I have to say it does not really quite approach the sharpness or detail of a couple of other fine Nikkors I have used, especially the incredible 50's for FF cameras. Still it will be a workhorse. I expect to get a lot of use out of in in rural Nicaragua in the next week on vacation. I will post what I get when I return! I am brining this and the Leica...it'll be a duel!</p>