Nikonos V o-rings

bruce_hooke

<p>Has anyone figured out a solution to finding replacements for the user-replaceable o-rings in the Nikonos V? I just got a used Nikonos V body from KEH before I realized that the o-rings were no longer available. To compound the problem, the body came with the orange storage-only o-rings so until I get the proper o-rings the camera is useless for its intended purpose. I have checked all over the web and cannot find anyone in the U.S. who has the o-rings in stock. They do appear to be available in the UK from Amazon UK, but they will not ship to the U.S.<br>

By the way, the one place that comes up repeatedly in Google searches showing these o-rings as potentially available is a place called a2zelectronics....however, their phone and email are both disconnected.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Bruce</p>

<p>Bruce, et al. -</p>

<p>If you can measure the o-ring ID, OD (i.e. one and the wall thickness) any supply house can supply o-rings in just about any material from, buna, to nitrile to epdm. We use 'em in industry all the time. A typical price example --- from McMaster Carr in NJ -- in EPDM rubber -</p>

<p>a 9 piece bag of o-rings of 5.75 inch ID, 6.00 inch OD ( 1/8th inch wall thickness, in other words ) = $9.29.</p>

<p>If you can, or know someone who can accurately measure the o-ring sizes needed that's the cheapest and most readily available way to go. There are thousands of stock o-rings that are off the shelf items. If it is a knucklehead size, one can buy o-ring cord stock and cut to length and glue your own o-rings. For any static seal, like a camera or a mchine, that's common practice.</p>

<p>Just my insight from the factory world.</p>

<p>Jim M.</p>

<p>Hi Jim,<br>

Thanks. I have order from McMaster before and have even made my own o-rings for less critical applications. I also have a micrometer so I could probably manage to work out the measurements. The most difficult question appears to be what material to use. I know these o-rings on the Nikonos V have a reputation for having to be treated quite carefully and lubricated with the proper lubricant. This is a situation where a very tiny leak can be disasterous, ruining the camera. This leads me to believe that it is rather critical to get the right material. If anyone knows this information, that would be great. Thanks!</p>

<p>1. - This site still sells them apparently ---</p>

<p>http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/NT3523/</p>

<p>2. - the NikonUSA product code for Nikonos V o-ring set was/is - 10713.<br>

<br /> <br>

3. - This place says nitrile or buna-n ... (looks like a very informed site, to my untrained eyes)</p>

<p>http://www.southern-nikonos.com/WorkShop/Nikonos-V/Orings1-6/Part1/orings1.htm</p>

<p>Best of luck. Jim</p>

<p>Thanks Jim. Good find to see that Southern Nikonos says buna-n. That narrows it down a lot. From there, looking at the McMaster website, I would just need to get the right hardness. However...<br>

I was just going to post that it seems like Southern Nikonos is the safer solution. I don't know if they have the official Nikon rings but if they don't I feel confident that they have tested their substitutes and figured out the right hardness and so on. I have been in communication with them and I think I am going to have them do an overhaul of my camera and send me new o-rings.<br>

- Bruce</p>

<p>Good point, Michael. I did not check with Nikon service. Since various website are saying the o-ring kit has been discontinued Nikon service might not be able help, but if anyone else runs into this problem it would certainly be worth a call. The fact that you were able to get the rings for a Nikonos IV suggests that they should still be available for the V.<br>

For now, it looks like Southern Nikonos is going to be able to provide me with what I need.</p>