Leica 50mm f2 Summicron

<p>I have the option to buy a Summicron. The serial is for 1975. My question is there any difference optically (contrast and sharpness) between the summicrons from 1975 and one made in the 1990's. This one is optically perfect with no paint chips. I currently have a Hexanon 50mm f2. I know photodo says the summicron is slightly sharper wide open. And what would be a fair price? I havent had time to look through ebay on previous closed auctions and match serials. Too time consuming.</p>

<p>Better than the CV 50/2 Heliar and maybe slightly behind the Zeiss optically speaking. The Zeiss Planar is on par with the current Summicron or possibly a little better due to greater flare and ghost image resistance with to the T* coating. The 1975 Summicron has a better build quality than anything that followed it with better ergonomics as well. The difference is subtle but definitely there on a side by side comparison. The fingerprint of the 1975 Summicron still retains the classic Leica "glow" while the Zeiss or current Summicron tends to be more technically perfect in it's imaging.</p>

<p>Unless you are making large blow-ups (8 x 12 and greater) the differences are likely to be quite small. Erwin Puts's compendium is obtainable on-line and it goes into some detail about the differences of most if not all Leica M lenses and in separate articles he has also discussed the Zeiss and CV lenses. </p>

<p>Of course, a CV 50mm Nokton (f1.5) can be obtained in great shape used for about $350 or so, whereas used Walter Mandler designed Summicrons (from the late 70s on) can be had for about $500 (sorry, I'm not sure of the exchange to pounds), considerably less than the price of current Summicrons, and even of the Zeiss 50mm. Is it worth getting the newer models or the Zeiss or CV lens? It may depend mostly on what you intend to do with it (shooting often at f2, or not, size of enlargements). It looks like you may need fast lenses for your musician images, and/or possibly telephoto or long focal length lenses.</p>

<p>Arthur,<br>

My one fast lens for my M6 is a Voigtlander 40mm f1.4. I like it. Although it's not the optimal length for shooting Jazz shows.<br>

Before I had a Leica. Dare I mention the name, I used a Contax G1 for my concert shots. I would use every lens I had at a show from the 28mm to the 45mm to the 90mm. Here is one of my favorites I grabbed with the 90mm.<br>

<a href=" img065Copy

Entire set <a href=" Flickr Search

Eventually I will pick up a 90mm for my Leica. It will have to wait though. I'm perfectly happy shooting with the 50mm as my longest lens at the moment.</p>