Who makes the highest quality film?

<p>Most manufacturer's make really high quality film. Now the question you should be asking yourself is, what do you want to use the film for?<br>

Personally I use mostly Fuji films. I like how they expose, I like the grain structure and the amount of grain and I like how they render color. I've used a bit of Kodak Ektar and think it is a good film. I've also used a few different Kodak Gold films, but I just don't like them as much as the Fuji Superia line...that doesn't mean the Kodak Gold films are worse, just different. I do think when it comes down to C41 process B&W Ilford XP2 super is much better then Kodak 400CN (the only two choices in C41 process B&W currently). My D76 process B&W experience is limited, but I do like Ilford Delta 400, but that is the only one I have tried, so the Kodak Tmax films might be better, or the Fuji B&W films.<br>

For slide, dunno, I am just getting in to slide film, but most people seem to prefer Fuji slide films over Kodak slide films.</p>

<p>Kodak and Fujifilm both make very fine slide films. The only thing that is really useful is to try different ones from each company--Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Astia, Velvia, Provia--and see what fits your needs. </p>

<p>I still prefer Kodachrome for nearly everything I do, personally. I've been using it since I started shooting in 1980, when I was 11 years old. At the time it was about the best there was. Now other slide films equal or even surpass it, depending on what qualities you are seeking in a film, such as lowest possible grain, high color saturation, etc.. </p>

<p>I don't think there are any bad films, not that I've seen anyway. It's important how you use a film. Poor exposure and/or poor developing will do injustice to any top quality film. Expert use will make an unpopular film look good. You need to pick one (or a few select ones) and learn it's characteristics. </p>

<p>Well maybe you mean best quality control with least amount of manufacturing defects? That is generally what is meant in any manufacturing industry by "quality". I've been shooting film since I was 8. And as an educator I've seen students process at least thousands of rolls of film. I will say that I have never seen a verified manufacturing defect in Kodak film. I only saw it once or twice with Ilford. Never saw any problems with Fuji films either, though have not seen as much of it.<br>

All the other manufacturers have variable quality control, mostly due to the age of their machinery. Many of the eastern European films can have spotty quality control, although FOMA seems to be ahead of the pack on this.<br>

Now in terms of unique image qualities, color, contrast, etc. you'll just have to shoot a lot to find what you like.</p>

<p>all of today film manufacturers do make high quality films, best quality ... it depend's more on particular film then on a manufacturer<br>

in my opinion, best color slides are:<br>

kodachrome 64 (kodak) unbeatable contrast and overall look<br>

astia 100f (fuji) ultrafine grain, realistic colors<br>

provia 400x (fuji) very fine grain for such a fast film<br>

best color negative:<br>

ektar 100 (kodak) finest grain, vibrant colors, decent skin tones<br>

of course there are plenty of superb bw films of all major and minor brands, including such pearls like bw slide (foma r100) ...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I once used some very unprofessional Agfa 200 film for swedish autumn landscapes in the pocket APS camera that used to acompagny me in every walk, and I loved the colors. Can't remember the exact name of that film, and not sure it's even made anymore...</p>