Shutter issue with M6 at 1/1000

<blockquote>

<p>"quite similar problem with my leica m4" <strong>&</strong> "recommend to rotate the spring adjuster a bit more? <strong><em>Thomas E.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, but my advise is for a much newer and healthier Leica M6 camera body. <br /> Older units will most likely also have lubricant issues along with curtain barrel spring imbalance.<br /> <br /> Without the aid of a proper shutter tester, I <strong>wouldn't</strong> continue to tighten. <br />But in the DIY spirit, you can go the safer <strong>opposite direction</strong> on the other "2nd curtain" adjuster (Loosen the 2nd curtain).</p>

• 4 years later...
<p>OK, I've explained the technical reasons for this condition in past postings, so I'll add a bit more DYI this time.</p>

<p>Congealed lube would be the diagnosis if the speeds were inconsistent. Knut states that the M6 isn't that old, and assuming that the camera hasn't been in high heat conditions, this may simply be that the first curtain barrel spring fatigued slightly.</p>

<p>Remove the 3 screws in the 2nd base plate, the two barrel spring adjusters are on the "rewind side". The 1st curtain is the one on the "eyepiece side". (2nd would be on the "lens mount side") Click the 1st curtain <strong>3</strong> increments in the <strong>counter</strong>-clockwise direction. Of course, use common sense through out the process, after all it ain't brain surgery.</p>

<p>Harmless and this will clear up the in-balance difference between the two curtains. Just saved you $175 plus...</p>

Hi Gus,

Would You kindly tell me what is the trouble on this 1/1000 shot with an m6 near mint and unused for 5 years?

967484587_stripesm62.thumb.jpg.271b8054f03310b09a408fe6caed94f2.jpg

1567472284_stripesm61.jpg.56a04442f0b640b97f0ccaa6ee64c8b7.jpg

Hi Gus,

Would You kindly tell me what is the trouble on this 1/1000 shot with an m6 near mint and unused for 5 years?

Anyway, why do you think your problem is different than what is already explained? - it looks identical to me.

Also, the original poster talked about a M6 0.85 which was reasonably new back in 2009, it is now 10 years later and you should probably read the advise Gus gives for the M4 in one of the follow-up questions.

Niels