Leica 135mm f2.8 Elmarit Lens Head Removal?

<p>Robert. I think so. I had the lens, but never actually unscrewed it. I know that my Tele-Elmar 135 f4 also unscrews and I have found it works well on the Viso. Good idea to clean the rear element this way, as the long focussing tube really doesn't make that too easy. </p>

I did unscrew my first version a long time ago, accidentally. Then, the fact that it was so easy led me to realize that this

was part of the lens design. I never needed to clean it, but I could have done it.

The front section comes up fairly clean, from what I recall (I sold that copy when I got a newer, second version). Just try

not to force it. If it doesn't turn easily... better leave that job to a pro.

<p>It separates a little below the aperture ring. I usually wrap my fingers around the barrel above the aperture ring and turn with a little force. There are no set screws, just friction. If too tight, the previous owner may have over tightened it. Try more force to turn but only with your hand, no tools. </p>

<p>Yes Bob, I purchased this lens used and the rear element had many years accumulation of atmospheric deposit, for want of a better phrase. I tried long handled cotton Q-tips, but only succeeded in smearing the recalcitrant substance around. </p>

<p>By unscrewing the lens head, I had much better access to the lens surface, and my microfiber cloth cleaned up the mess easily.</p>

• 1 month later...