Which is Cooler, Schneider or Rodenstock?

martin_casper

According to the Ad people (at least those the NY Times talks to), Retro is in.

Therefore, your coolest lenses are Ektars, Wollensak Raptars, and let's not forget the ever chilling f18 W.A. Protars.

I doubt James Dean would have had the patience for large format. Somehow I see him with a Leica IIIf or M3 in the mid 1950's (if he could figure out how to use it).

Personally, I think Schneider and Rodenstock are equals as far a appeal. Twenty or thirty years ago I would have given Schneider my vote, only because there seem to be a broader line of optics from prior decades and the name was more established in my mind. Since image seems to be your main concern, large format Zeiss optics (75mm Biogon, 135mm Planar and 250mm Sonnar) are collectors items and physically very appealing. They also perform very well (except for lack of coverage). Rodenstock Imagon is an unusual lens, hence "cool" in my mind. 150mm Xenotar f/2.8 is very fast. Super Symmars, Sironar-S, Grandagons, Super Angulons...there all outstanding (along with many others not named). I am not mentioning any Japanese based on your comment. Ektars are classic and outstanding performers. I have only considered the 4 X 5 format in my very opinionated assessment.

Ellis,

You mean Bud really does taste like swill? All these years I thought it was me and that I was just missing something.;-)

*Tosses the Bud in the trash and cracks open a Bass.*

I don't really mind these silly questions. But it always cracks me up that they always get more responses than a post on something like aaahh, well large format photography.

Budweiser doesn't taste like swill; marinade a whole bucketful of chicken wings and thighs in the stuff overnight and then toss them on the Bar-Be the next day. Bud is fine; just don't drink the stuff.

Good for the Fourth of July cookouts.

"Cool" cameras are the modern auto-everything rubbish - LF gear is naff, which is why we (who know they take cool pictures) can pick it up so inexpensively.

I Like my warm lenses - cool lenses give a blue cast, and have to be used with a pink filter.

I am looking forward to getting out with my Schneider Super-Angulon 47XL - that is a nice lens, and it needs to be warm to photograph limestone (costwold stone) churches and cathedrals.