Canon EOS 30D, D80, other comparisons?

heyyrobert

<p>Hey all,</p>

<p>Before you bite me for such a seemingly stupid question, please hear me out.</p>

<p>I have been shooting both AF Nikons and I also have an ancient Nikon F (Still use bi-weekly or so). I have been shooting film for quite a while now, and I want to finally switch to digital for day to day use. I have a buch of Nikkors for my set.</p>

<p>Here's my dilemma. I can only really afford sub 700 body, and so I figured that a D40 is a no-go for me for its inability to focus my 50mm. I was seriously considering a Rebel XSI, as it seemed to be the right set of features (Friend owns all Canon, so we can swap/borrow lenses). When I took his XTI out for a spin, I found the grip to be actually painful to use. I decided that the Rebels were no-go's also.</p>

<p>I saw the D80 for under 600 at BH, felt a D90 in-store, and I liked it. However, its become discontinued today. (Adorama has it for 650, but that seems a bit much if BH had it for 580) Then I saw a Refurb Canon 30D refurbished for 500. I know, I know its two generations back, but it seems to be the most viable option for me at the moment. Especially as the only lenses I have access to are the Nikons and Canons. I really think I like the 30D, it seems very substantial/good in the hand (Probably biggest selling point for me).</p>

<p>What do you think? Anyone have an answer?</p>

<p>-Robert</p>

<p>30D may be old but it's a good with which you can create great photographs. However the same can be said for the 80D. (I have friends who use exactly these camera's.)</p>

<p>Another option might be a second hand Canon 5D. (But that might be above budget.)</p>

<p>Anyway, Both cameras you mention would do nicely I guess. (Do remember that they have a cropped sensor though. The 5D's sensor is the same size as 35mm film.)</p>

<p>Kind regards, Matthijs.</p>

Would you consider a Canon 40D? I picked up one refurbished for $700 a month ago, and the prices are continuing to drop. It feels nearly identical to the 30D, but has a couple of significant advantages that I thought were worth the extra $200 (AF improvements and frame rate/buffer).

<p>Decisions, decisions.... of course I can only give you my opinions, YMMV. The first thing I can say is that if you can swing a D300- then by all means get one. It really is the top in it's class. If not, then I say a D90. Guess what, it really is top in it's class. Between new D80 and a refurbished 30D, personally I would buy the D80. The 30D will have a CMOS sensor which will have less noise at higher (800+) ISOs. Other than that the cameras are fairly similar. The D90 on the other hand is far better: better metering, more AF points, better screen (don't laugh- use a 920,000 pixel screen and try going back to something like a D80 or 30D or 40D for that matter), the D90 uses a CMOS chip for better high ISO performance and the list goes on. For what it's worth, I have shot with a D40 (yes, not a good option), the D80, D90, D300, & D700 as well as a Canon 10D-40D. If you can swing it, the D90 is a worthy camera. And here is the really great part, I was talking with another photographer the other day and we pretty much agreed that with the D90 and above that we have reached a point where we don't need to upgrade every 18-months to the next generation of camera bodies. If you pick up a D90 it will be a long while before you either outgrow it or feel the need for something new.</p>

<p>I have an even older Canon, the 20D, and I still use it to good results. As an old film user, I easily tolerate its results even at ISO 3200. The 30D is better than the 20D, if only by a little.<br /> Any of the "crop-body" Canon EOS cameras will work very well with very inexpensive adapters with any lens that you can mount on your Nikon F (except, perhaps some of the early fisheye lenses). A few more Nikkor lenses will interfere with the mirror on the full-frame Canons like the 5D, but nearly all do mount and work manually without a hitch.<br /> I've used a new Nikon Fisheye on the 20D, and it worked fine (totally manually, of course).<br /> If any of your older Nikkors are non-AI lenses, they will work fine on the Canons without any modification.<br /> If you have a lot of AF Nikon lenses, then they will not be at their best as manual lenses on a Canon, obviously.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 30D is one notch up over D80 both in features and quality.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Much more than one notch. In fact, in terms of IQ, AF, metering accuracy and - especially - noise - the 30D is streets ahead of the <strong>D200</strong> , two of which cameras I owned before giving up on Nikon and getting my first 30D.</p>

<p>I still own two 30Ds, even though I now use the 40D exclusively, because the 30D is still a great camera (one is out on more or less permanent loan to a friend) and I'm loath to get rid of them.</p>