What lens do you use the most? Weddings

freya_jensen

<p>I agree with those that stated above that prime vs. zoom is a personal choice. Although if you only have one body, I would say it's too much pain to shoot primes only (too much lens changin/running). But some would disagree. If you have two bodies, I would get a Nikon 17-55 2.8 (for DX)/Nikon 24-70 2.8 (for FF) and a fast long prime on the other body. That way you have best of both worlds and you can figure out what style you like better.</p>

<p>Here is what I use:<br>

For the ceremony and reception:<br>

1. Nikon 17-55 2.8 (90%)<br>

2. Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR (8%)<br>

3. Tokina 12-24 f4 (2%)<br>

For couple shots/portraits:<br>

1. Nikon 50 1.8 (90%)<br>

2. Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR</p>

<p>If I could I would keep my Nikon 50 1.8 on my camera all the time: <a href="http://marekphoto.blogspot.com/">http://marekphoto.blogspot.com/</a><br>

Good luck,<br>

Marek</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! this has been interesting to say the least! I did wonder how vague to make the questiong but I wanted it interpreted the way anyone wanted.<br>

It seems the main favourites are 24-70 (yay, i have), 50 and 70-200.<br>

I do worry about changin lenses all the time, and I am loving the 24-70 so much thats why I thought I should be getting a range of lenses over time.. but now I think I will complete my glass with the 70-200 eventually and start getting the lighting organised quick.<br>

I have a good course at nikon next month (here in london) to study more pro lighting so that should help. thanks everyone.. this will help lots of newcomers like me</p>

<p>

<p >Am I too late to add my thought of the day?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I'm always chopping & changing my mind between a wide angle zoom & a medium zoom, for going in & taking group shots & individuals. This is the majority of the pics shot.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The wide for the group shots, but knowing that I will have to correct the distortion of the wide later.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The medium, perfect for faces & never having to correct distortion afterwards, but losing out on space that I can back up into for medium size groups.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The alternative is to carry 2 cameras with those lenses, but then you end up looking like the paparazzi & this puts your subjects off straight away. Pity eh?</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Canon 1D2 - 1.3x multiply (not full frame)</p>

<p >16-35 L f2.8</p>

<p >24-70 L f2.8</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Then other lenses get used too, depending on that particular wedding, location etc ...</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

</p>

<p>"why not the 24-105 f4 on FF?"<br>

Because it is f4. Most situations are typically better served by the use of faster lenses. It is often the case that you are working in dark venues, whether it is a church or a reception hall. Granted, it is a useful range and a sharp lens (when properly calibrated) but the bokeh is not nearly as nice as most all of the faster zooms. Depending on your shooting style, that can be a critical factor.<br>

For travel photography, I would take the 24-105 in a heartbeat. It's all you need to do most picture taking on a trip to exciting places and beautiful scenery, architecture, people, etc. If I still had my 5D and the 24-105, that would be my travel kit no question.</p>

<p>Lou</p>

<p>For my style of shooting I found that next to focal lenght, the deep of field is also very important. I use D300 so there isn`t a lot of Nikon glass to choose when looking for a bright lens. I use the below primes most of the time:<br>

Sigma 30 f/1.4 - I think it works much better than Nikon 35 f/2<br>

Sigma 50 f/1.4 - beats the new Nikkor 50 1.4 AF-S - the best of my lenses!<br>

Nikon 85 f/1.8 AF-D - really nice piece of glass, maybe I will decide to upgrade to 85/1.4 AF-D when the right moment comes,<br>

For wide angle, you can choose between many bright zooms. Personally, I have made the decision and will go for Nikon 10.5/2.8 Fisheye lens soon!<br>

Good luck,<br>

Piotr.</p>

<p>

"Response to What lens do you use the most?

I'm breaking all the rules. I use 135mm 2.0 for ceremonies now.

The 70-200 is too heavy lol"

i am completely with you on that one. I switched from the 80-200 to the 180 f2.8 (full frame)... the 80-200 was downright huge! i was worried at first that i would get caught with too much reach at times but so far it hasn't been a problem.

</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

Canon, Nikon, Sigma or Tamron they all have good lenses for weddings. It will all depend how much you want to spend. Almos what I've read here is the tp of the tops of lenses. Of course if you can afford it is ok.<br>

I'm a wedding photographer (photojournalism style) for some years now, I shoot with canon and my preferred lens are:</p>

<p>24-105mm f4L IS 70% of the time (I wish canon made this in f2.8...) very versatile, not much weith (note that you'll have to carry this all day)</p>

<p>17-40 f4L 25% of the time (16-35 f2.8) for the wide angle shots, inside church, church, buildings, and for the dancing part.</p>

<p>70-200mm f4L IS 5% (or f2.8IS) - for some outside portraits (however since I bought the 24-105 this one is almost time in my bag, too havy). This also have Image Stabilization wich allow you to drop until 3 stops.<br>

50mm f1.4 (or 1.2) - very nice for portraits, will be a 80mm with cropped sensor.<br>

All are used with the 1.6x sensor magnificacion factor, that's why I almost do not use a 70-200 because I have a 168 with my 24-105.<br>

So If you have a croped sensor, shoot with canon non-full frame sensors, and do not want to spend a lot I would go for the 17-40mm f4L and 24-105mm f4L IS. Wiht this you have more than enough to begin. If you can aford buy the all the f2.8 glass you can get!</p>

WEBSITE AND FULL NAME REMOVED ACCORDING TO PHOTO.NET POLICY

<p>Thought I would post my question here rather than opening a new topic<br>

I am wondering what lenses to attach to my 2 body's and which ones to take so that I can change<br>

I have a Canon 40D and a Canon 1DMarkIII (so also different crop factors)<br>

Lenses I have: Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Canon 70-200 f2.8 (no IS), Canon 50 f1.2 , Canon 135 f2.0.<br>

<br />What I miss is something like a 24-70 f2.8, but do you think I could manage with the 17-50 and the 70-200? I love my 50 f1.2 but I am not sure whether it is sensible to put that lense permanently on a body.<br>

What I am worried about with my 70-200 is that is has no IS. I am afraid my photo's will become blurred because of movement.</p>