Leica M6 allignment

jermaine_scott

<p>I was taking pics today. I was down by the Washington Monument. I focused and the RF was off horizontally. When I got home. I measured for five feet on a tripod. I used both my Zeiss 35mm f2 ZM and Konica 50mm f2. They both focused at 5 ft. So here is my question. If they are fine at close focus (5 ft). Will I notice anything ever at infinity being out of focus even at f2?</p>

<p>Actually, the lens focus probably isn't off, merely the alignment of your rangefinder. If that is the case, you can still use the markings on your lens to focus just fine, especially at infinity. The usual adjustment is pretty easy with numerous threads on it, or a competent repairperson can do it in very little time assuming you haven't accidently moved the angle adjusting bar on the piece which holds the rf cam; then it becomes a much more complex adjustment.</p>

<p>Yeah, I have the instructions on how to set the cam for infinity. It seems like a simple fix with a jewelers scewdriver. Before I do it. I was just wondering if I can get by without doing it. I adjusted the rangefinders on my Yashica GTN and Zeiss Super Ikonta IV before. Leica is something I would rather not do though. The camera isn't exactly cheap. lol!</p>

<p>The beauty of Leica M is that it's one of the easiest cameras to make this adjustment of any rangefinder camera but research the various threads on the net before undertaking the adjustment to make sure you're comfortable doing it. The main thing is to not push up hard on the screw when turning it as to not force a change in the vertical height of the roller. I usually wedge my fingernail between the top of the roller and the bayonet mount to act as a safety brace to prevent any unintended vertical movement of the roller when turning it's inner screw. </p>

<p>Thanks Alan, problem is. I live in an apt building. It's hard to see that far in my building. No moon in sight either. So, setting for infinity is proving to be a problem in that respect. I think I have the skills and tools for the simple job of adjusting the cam though. Just wanted to know if the camera is off at infinity will objects at minimum focal distance be off when I'm shooting wide open?</p>

<p>There's another adjustment that affects the effective "length" of the RF cam arm, that affects the "rate" of the rangefinder. So the first adjustment is for infinity, and the length one is for close distance. (Think of infinity as "intercept", and the rate one as "slope".) They interact, of course.<br>

Also, it could be the lens. If you have a way to measure it, measure that the RF cam protrudes from the mating face of the lens exactly 6.5mm when the lens is focused to infinity.<br>

Canon's maintenance manuals for their old rangefinder cameras called for a dummy lens, that was basically just a body cap that had an RF coupling cam that stuck out the right distance for an LTM camera (7.5mm). You put that on and did infinity adjustment.</p>

<p>Jermaine, in your situation, I would take the camera out of the apartment and find a spot where you can comfortably check infinity foucus on an object 1/2 mile or greater preferably in your car. That's how I do it since it's something I can adjust while sitting comfortably in my car. If you want to double check the close focus, set the camera up from a target exactly 1 meter (39 3/8") from the film plane of the camera (about 1/8" from the top back edge of the camera) and check the distance scale after focusing. If your camera currently just falls short of exact infinity coincidence, the scale focus at 1 meter will read very slightly past 1 meter with a your lenses. </p>

<p>I trick I have read about and now use myself to check close focus is as follows. Go to a big mirror. Put a 3 inch piece of masking tape vertically on the mirror. Set the distance on your lens to exactly 1 meter. Move back and forth until the rangefinder indicates the lens is properly focused at 1 meter( lens is still set at 1 meter) Now focus the lens on the camera reflection behind the tape on the mirror, the distance should read 2 meters. If it does your close focus is spot on.</p>

<p>I just did the 1 meter test using a tape measure, a tripod and a target for focusing. The lens registered 1 meter on both the Konica 50mm and the Zeiss 35mm ZM. It was was off on the Jupiter 8 that I have. I was expecting that though. lol!<br>

I did the mirror test. Both lenses passed. So, I guess I'm ok. I guess the infinity will just drive me crazy. But, like I said. It's just ever so slight a misallignment.</p>

<p>The most accurate test is to take some focus bracketing test shots at near and far at f/2.8 (not f/2) with the 50. Since you live in an appartment, find a detailed subject outside located a few hundred feet away that alllows the rf patch to exactly focus at the infinity endpoint. Take a shot with this subject. Next, take another shot with the distance scale focus set just inside infinity endpoint by the same amount that causes rf patch misalignment by the same degree you notice at true infinity. Compare the sharpness of the images. If the second image is sharpest, you may want to consider adjusting the camera to give perfect alignment at infinity as described earlier. To verify near focus, take one shot correctly focused at 1 meter and then a second with the lens set slightly under 1 meter where the patch is misaligned by the same degree as it was at infinity. If the second shot is sharpest, definitely adjust the camera's cam roller screw for exact infinity focus.</p>

<p>Tis done.<br>

I used the Washington Monument as the infinity point. I just had to turn the screw ever so slightly to get it to match up. I then checked both my Konica 50mm and the Zeiss 35mm. They match at infinity. <br>

As James Brown said, "I feel good!"<br>

Thank you for everyones help on my little dilemma.</p>