Must have features in first Video Camera

hoffmanvision

<p>Hey there all,<br /> I've been an SLR camera shooter for many years and I now teach Digital Photography and Photoshop courses at the local Community College. I've always wanted to get into video but just never have. Recently I was asked to teach a YouTube class and I though this would be the perfect time to finally pick up a digital video camera.<br>

<br /> As an SLR user, there are certain features, such as full manual controls, I feel I could never live without on a point & shoot. My question is this: What are the have-to-have features to look for on in video? I've heard that the 3ccd sensors are superior to single ccds. I know that some models (high end) offer interchangeable lenses. I'd like to have manual control over the exposure. What features define the difference between a point & shoot video camera and real video camera?<br /> <br /> Finally, what are some recommendations on a baseline model, used and inexpensive preferrably, to get me going in video. I'll make the comparison to my Nikon D70 or a Canon 20D. Both are still excellent and very capable cameras with full manual control and many pro level features but can be had these days for less than $300.<br /> <br /> Thanks</p>

<p>Sean, I am partial to Sony products so will use their models as reference, but as with SLR cameras, other brands in an equivalent class should operate equally well. <br /> <br /> 3-CCD cameras in the semi-pro class (Sony DCR-VX2100 or eq.) will be far superior to consumer grade cameras particularly in terms of noise performance, low light sensitivity, handling ergonomics, lens quality, and its pro features and controls. The penalty is cost. There are low cost 3-CCD camcorders offered by JVC but are not necessarily better in overall performance compared to its counterparts in the same price range. <br /> <br /> I recently purchased a second Sony DCR-PC110 for under $200. It's a compact Mini-DV with full manual controls, manual focus, long exposure (video integration down to 4 FPS), Zeiss lens, Super NightShot (Infrared mode with long exposure), full complement of audio/video inputs and outputs, Lanc wired remote control, wireless remote, Intelligent Hotshoe for a flashe or zoom microphone, and Firewire port. If the older 4x3 aspect ratio isn't an objection, this would be one of the best values in the used market. Video quality is superb. <br /> <br /> I also own a D70 and consider the DCR-PC110 an equivalent in the camcorder world; I use it mainly in video astronomy for viewing the night sky in real time through its infrared mode, long integration, as a stand-alone or coupled to a telescope afocally.</p>

<p>You don't usually get interchangeable lenses on a video camera until you get into professional levels, and even then you usually buy just one zoom, usualy a 10:1 or 12:1 that stays on the camera. Since one zoom covers virtually everything, there isn't the need for changing lenses like there is on an SLR, even in professional work. Manual controls, even manual focus, are getting harder to find on low end cameras. And even when it says it has manual control, it's often buried in a menu rather than a button or knob. I would stick with MiniDV tape rather than DVD or anything with flash/hard disk memory. Not quite sure how the DVD camcorders work but if their files are compressed the way a normal movie DVD is, the image isn't going to hold up well in the editing process. The one absolutely essential item on a video camera that many people overlook is a microphone connection. built in mikes are useless for anything other than home movies. If you're going to do interviews or shoot people speaking -- whether it's a politican at a podium, bride and groom exchanging vows or actors in a narrative film -- you absolutely have to be able to connect an external microphone. Most finished video is a collection of sound bites of one form or another either intercut with "B Roll" visuals.</p>

<p>Sean, here is a youtube video"

on how to build the cheap DOF (Depth of Field) adapter for any video camera. . What this does is let you put any 35mm lens on any video camera. You can build it yourself (I think $38.00 is the cheapest I’ve seen), or buy one from around $400.00 to $4000.00 for the best.<br>

As for as what camera, I have four canons (two GL-1's and 2 XH-A1s). Either these camera’s are no good, or there’s not a really “big difference” between them and the cheapest camcords on the market. Remember, you can’t compare the SD and HD cameras to each other. <br>

We have a Samsung 61" HD TV. When I saw how my SD, GL-1s looked on it, the first thing I did was to buy the HD, XH-A1s. The HD – XH-A1s look better on my Samsung than the sean in real life. If there is any way for you to afford it, I would get a cheap HD camcorder. I haven’t seen any video of a cheap HD video (if there is such a thing) but, if there is no more difference in how my camera's compare to anything below $1000.00 then that's the way I would go, new or used<br>

I think I would stay with tape for now, because all of the new pro cameras are still using it. If their staying with tape then there’s a reason why. <br>

If you want to see the next generation camcorder now, take a look at what Red's coming out with. "http://www.red.com/store". Red makes movie cameras. They have digtal move camera that will take 60, 25MB, FPS. The one here runs about $30,000.00. But, their coming out with four new models starting at $3000.00 that is suppose to put any camera that takes video and stills to shame.</p>

<p>I just jumped on HD wagon too. After some research, it became obvious that the camera to get sa Canon HF-11 (<a href="http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-Vixia-HF11-Camcorder-Review-35436.htm">http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-Vixia-HF11-Camcorder-Review-35436.htm</a>) if you don't want to go to Pro. Or never versions of it of course. I went for cheaper HG-20 (<a href="http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-Vixia-HG20-Camcorder-Review-35510.htm">http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-Vixia-HG20-Camcorder-Review-35510.htm</a>), which has the same image quality - which was best in this category. The problem is that the format is AVCHD, which is currently better (on paper) than HDV (and in practice as good or better). AVCHD from Canon is 1920x1080i at 24Mbps at max, where as HDV is 1440x1080i (don't know about the bitrate). So, if it is better, then where is the problem? Answer: in editing.<br>

At digital darkroom forum, I just asked what to do with editing in OS X. I was planning to buy 17" MBP and use Final Cut Express to edit the video. Seems that, contrary to what Apple lets you think, it does not support AVCHD natively. It will transform it to intermediate codec, which according to the manual is 1440x1080i at 14Mbps (from memory). I.e. much lower quality that comes out of the video camera. So, I scratched that idea and I am now looking for Windows based editing. It seems that Apple really has lost the touch with photographers and videographers needs.<br>

About staying with tape... well, I think it is much more inconvenient, on paper the quality is less and in practice it doesn't seem to be any better (according to <a href="http://www.camcorderinfo.com/">http://www.camcorderinfo.com/</a>). The only advantage is that with Apple software, you are not loosing quality (at least not that much) as with memory based systems during the editing phase. That can't be why pros are saying with it...</p>

<p>One word of warning about buying anything online. If you try to buy a camera online for 50% or less than the cameras real retail price, their probably going to do you like they did me.</p>

<p>After you receive the wrong camera, you will call them up and ask why they sent you the wrong camera. They said "well we got to thinking about it, and we decided you might like a camera with a lens in it. The one you order doesn't come with a lenses". Then the battle is on, and the chances are about 99.9% that you will lose.</p>

<p>Express Camera's was the one I dealt with. Their parent company has now change Express Cameras name along with the other ten online stores they operate.</p>

<p>There's plenty of good online stores online so stay with them.</p>