Mac vs. PC....I NEED to be convinced. :)

<p>Iris, if i remember Mac use to be superior because of the lack of color amnagement with PC..certainly not true anymore indeed, but it like people still using Quark; when you get the hang on something its hard to switch on something else, even knowing that Indesign is by far better and cheaper : )..Oh wait! its like Mac vs PC?! again its a matter of what you know, and $..dam.</p>

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Howard, I hear ya... It's come down to an argument of style vs. sensibility between PC & Mac it seems. It's like when people get their eye on clothing that costs twice as much as a lesser brand. They both keep you warm, they both last about the same length, one is just more refined design wise and to some people that is important, others not so much. In Mac's defense there are some PC makers that overcharge too for style, namely Sony & Alienware.</p>

<p>I was just helping a friend get up to speed with Capture NX on a macbook. So much animation going on I can't imagine the image processing speed wasn't slowed down by it. Also he spent 20 minutes trying to figure out where the hell iPhoto kept his images files when it imported them. Not very user friendly in that regard.</p>

<p>Charmain, to stress again, the superiority complex for macs and graphics has been long dead. There will be people that try to convince you they make better monitors, but in your position as someone still early in photography, I wouldn't throw down extra cash on 'pro' computer gear, when you should be making sure you have pro camera gear first. Maybe you can afford all of it very soon though, in that case go for it.</p>

<p>Mumble.<br>

I have a Mac running 10.4.11. It's old (1999) but it still runs fine, if slow for modern apps. I just replaced my 8 yo Dell with a new Gateway running Vista x64. I haven't had an OS crash from either box in months. In fact, the Vista machine has NEVER had a crash that took down the OS, except when software from the Crucial Memory site caused a BSOD. Crucial admits a problem.</p>

<p>Bomb messages are obsolete now. OS X (post 10.2) is as stable as Vista or XP. The problem is cost. My Gateway (Vista x64, AMD Phenom, 8GB RAM, 256 Ati, 640GB HD, etc.) cost $500. A Mac Pro is two grand. Viruses are indeed a problem on Wintel, but not a 1500 dollar or more problem. Vista works fine. There are annoying permissions messages, but you can turn them off. My Mac asks for my password before installing software, just like Vista asks for admin permission.</p>

<p>PS CS4 64-bit is amazingly fast. Plugins are becoming available. It's all good.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>If you needed certain applications or games not existent in the Mac world yet, and could stay off the internet or buy the virus protection programs needed on a constant basis, then a PC would be the way to go and perhaps Windows 7 will work out fine, especially with security. Reviews are positive. I've have both PC's and Mac's, but prefer my old G3 iMac which keeps plugging along, and I love the ease of use. The only thing I have run into is problems getting a selection of peripherals such as a webcam, but my machine is ancient by todays standards. The up side to the Mac is the underlying Unix like operating system and viruses, the downside is, like any computer, things can get quirky if you know what I mean. The problems I've encountered with my friends PC's since I repair them is they slow down alot, they get inundated with MS company and other application crap, they get viruses, and they breakdown more. Probably a result of using low bidding suppliers. Still I'm (eventually) setting up a PC for imaging but it will not be used for anything else. Other option, it's becoming a Linux world, but I'm uncertain as to imaging programs there. Btw, any Mac can be <strong>easily</strong> setup as a server.</p>

<p>Hi Barry, didn't mean to make my first post sound confrontational. I was just pointing out that i think it's fuktarded that for the equivalent of PC just simply updating the bios, you can't add an extra gig of ram in your iMac. The slots are there for you to run 2 X 2 gig, iMac's sold a few months after can take 4 gig. Aren't you a little pissed you can't get a small update from Apple and then install an extra gig of ram? Instead, you have to sell the whole box and buy another one. Yeah, great system.</p>

<p><em>I wonder how many thousands have you put in to upgrade or switch your hot rods in the last 3 years. It seems on one thread it sounds like you upgrade or cross platforms with every new tech wrinkle. That sounds real cost effective.</em><br>

<em><br /> </em><br>

I've only switched platforms, to PC, once. It seems that i average a new build every three years. I need two fast PC's, one for the desk, and one for the road. I'm like Patrick, I need two. I also have a third just for email/web. This may be where you've gotten the impression I run to the hardware store every six months.</p>

<p>If one starts their PC life with a great ATX case, then it is just a matter of a swapping out parts. My oldest machine, my email/web box, is a five year old dual core P4. It has 2 gig of ram. Still poky and snappy and could easily put 4 gig of ram in there, but is the slow poke of the three and don't need even 2 gig for the web. I'll swap out the mobo & cpu ect in a couple months for an i7 920 and 6 gigs of ram. For $800 and a sunday, I'll have a current sytem and save the landfill of e-waste. This updated box will become my road box, and the current road box will be demoted as a web/email machine. I always keep my work stations off-line. I run two boxes, a work station and an email box, side by side connected to one monitor/keyboard/mouse with a $80 KVM switch. I'm not sure why I bother with an email dedicated box though? I've never had a malware/virus/spyware issue in 10 years of PC use. Point is, I'd shudder at the cost of two Mac Pro's. And I'd have to sell them, like you, in order to get modern speed.</p>

<p><em>You probably think it's a brilliant idea to run raid 0 for photography just to get that little speed tweak.</em></p>

<p>Well, yeah man. Hard drive speed is our bottleneck now. It's not a "little speed tweak". It's huge speed increase that's well worth the ten seconds of bios settings. That's why photographers and video editors do it. Ever tried it? Please indicate why you think it is a bad idea. If it's the "if one drive goes down, you lose everything" argument, it's a moot point to those that back up their data. Because hard drives are so reliable now, the chance for one to go down is very slim.</p>

<p><em>I have had seamless 3 years of no hassle, no virus, no driver issues, can you say the same?</em></p>

<p>No driver issues, Barry? Your Epson has always worked? You were able to use your software from Tiger/IBm on Intel/Leopard? No forced upgrades? I recall 3800 posts with OSX/Epson/CS3. Three years isn't anything to be impressed by anyways. But absolutely, my now fiver yr old email machine has been flawless. And soon, for $800, it'll be faster than a $4K Mac Pro. It's easy to build a rock solid PC and play it safe on the net. Because PC is the market share, we get drivers first. We get plugins and raw updates from Adobe first. We get CS4 in 64 bit first. Any one of my three PC's can load 8 different OS's and run 10 year old software. In either 32 and 64 bit versions, we can run XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Ubuntu. Heck, if I was abit more of geek, I could hack OSX onto one of them :)</p>

<p><em>I do like the horsepower available for less that PC offers, but I don't like the hassle involved in running a PC. I do think that OSX is much better OS that allows more focus on the work and less on the computer. It's worth the money to me, but it's an individual choice.</em></p>

<p>See, I don't have any PC hassle. Great parts and a great tech makes a great box. Most that swtch to Mac usually come from poor PC experiences from poor PC's. My workstations take no maintenance at all. They are off-line. My email machine, big deal, it runs a $40 anti-virus program. I've got several friends that have switched and about half have stayed. One went from an $800 two year old Dell that was taken everywhere on the net that it shouldn't, loaded games (worse thing), did the MSN and free smiley's with a hotmail account. Ran like crud, new spyware conflicted with pre-installed Dell bloatware, couldn't rebuild it himslef, wouldn't pay $200 for a fresh install, gave up with all the "free online computer scans" and then he bought an iMac, after I begged him too, and can't shut up about how great it is. Well, for 3 X the cost, it should be! My x-gf dumped $6K into Mac Pro and soon longed for the flexablity of PC. She felt like she was held for ransom by a monopoly. I had to indicate to her that she was. Hers was in the shop 4 times in like 1.5 yrs. My 1/3 the cost PC box is faster and I'm soon fighting to get onto my own PC. I deal with Mac people all the time on a pro level, that spinning disk goes around and around and mumbles like "where did that go?" "where did I put that?" "how come it hasn't printed yet?"</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Look, let's all be totally honest here. You buy a Mac and spend the extra cash because it's the sexiest looking piece of computer kit on the market, bar none. That's the only reason. As already mentioned, for the equivalent cash you'll buy a PC with enough horsepower to knock the equivalent Mac into next week.<br>

Without doubt Mac OS is better, but it is NOT better enough to warrant the extra cost. Mac is beautiful design, Mac looks fantastic, even in the shittiest office, but at the end of the day it comes down to pounds, shillings and pence and raw horse power. I don't buy this Vista will give you grief argument - it's only used by the Mac and Linux fanboys who have little more to do than jerk off over their pride and joy. I'm using Vista daily and haven't had a problem. LR2.3, CS4 and DPP work flawlessly and that's all I need to care about. Ask a Mac user who isn't a fanboy and they'll give you a more balanced answer. It's like the Nikon/Canon argument. Neither is REALLY better than the other. It's just what you get used to using.</p>

<p>>>> You buy a Mac and spend the extra cash because it's the sexiest looking piece of computer kit on the market, bar none. That's the only reason.</p>

<p>Dead wrong. I buy a Mac for OS X. It's about productivity, zero hassles and zero virus issues.</p>

<p>My Mac "desktop computer" is underneath my desk - haven't looked at it in a couple years.</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>>>>Dead wrong. I buy a Mac for OS X. It's about productivity, zero hassles and zero virus issues. My Mac "desktop computer" is underneath my desk - haven't looked at it in a couple years.<br>

Fanboy? Strange that. My box is under my desk, it's hassle free and I don't get viruses. Same as you there then. But I think my box cost a lot less than yours (with an Eizo monitor). But I guess that because yours cost more it has to be better, aka the old adage, you get what you pay for - right?</p>

<p>I love macs but I keep finding myself buying PC's. I just dont have the cash to buy expensive hardware when PCs are almost as good.<br>

Yes, a mac is normally better for this type of stuff, but I think it would be a better idea to save some money on hardware and buy better software.<br>

Regarding vista. If you can hold off for a while, windows 7 will be much better. If you need a computer now, consider the Mac route. But if price is any sort of factor, I would save up for a few more months (june when every windows computer will come with a free upgrade to 7). <br>

One final note. If you get a PC, get some linux distro for your laptop. Make that your internet computer and dont let the pc anywhere near the net. Ive never had mine crash but ive never browsed the web with it... For virus protection, Macs can only be beat by linux.</p>

<p>I don't really know why I'm contributing to this thread because I have nothing new to say, but I can't resist.</p>

<p>I was a pc user for many years and didn't really mind it too much. I got used to working in a certain way and put up with the foibles of the windows systems I used. i wasn't mad keen on the slowing down of the systems and the headaches and glitches with networking and so forth. I had antivirus and antispware software installed and was fairly careful in how I browsed. I only once got a virus, though I did pick up quite a lot of other bits and pieces which I didn't like.</p>

<p>I switched to mac a couple of years ago. First at my work and then afer using the OS for two or three months, i bought an iMac. I personally find the mac system a lot less hassle. I don't have to worry at all about viruses, and I believe that OSX is a lot more secure in that it won't install anything unless you let it. My wife's son has a pc laptop with Vista and I have used it once or twice and each time I have been glad that I switched to the mac.</p>

<p>I find most day to day hassles I had with my pc ( and I'm not saying they drove me to drink or anything) don't happen with my mac or if they do happen, they happen an awful lot less. If I want to network it it is a simple click or two of the mouse. Windows, to my mind, is a lot more complex.</p>

<p>Now this might just be because I am used to the mac but I don't believe it is. I ran windows via Boot Camp on my mac for a long time until I realised I hadn't used it at all for the past 12 months and deleted it.</p>

<p>I believe the fact that Apple control the hardware and the software in any of their computers makes the whole thing more likely to work well as a whole. I suppose this is both their strength and their limitation. I don't suffer from the Apple religion, ( and Steve Jobs gets on my wick from time to time ), but for me the mac can get things done reliably and well. I didn't find it to be a revolution it just seemed easier all round.</p>

<p>I have the older white iMac with a nice matte screen. At the moment Apple don't offer the matte option in their current iMac range. This glossy doesn't really appeal to me much although I know many photographers use it without issues. It might bother you or it might not.</p>

<p>Those are my ramblings on the subject. I have to say though that if you really really need to be convinced then maybe you should just go with the pc. You have used both and if you are not convinced the Mac is worth the extra money then why not save cash and buy a windows machine.</p>

<p>Anyway good luck with whatever you buy : )</p>

<p>William</p>

<p>>>> Fanboy?</p>

<p>No. Why the immature and snarky remark? </p>

<p>>>> But I guess that because yours cost more it has to be better, aka the old adage, you get what you pay for - right?</p>

<p>No, Again, because I <i>choose</i> to use OS X.</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>I was a bit harsh about my tone. Garrison sorry about that. Yes, I would like to get 4 GB ram in my system if I could I would go to Leopard. But I thought that was an Intel limitation on their mother board and not a bios issue. Am I wrong? <br>

No, I've not had any driver issues or problems with Epson printers etc. I'm using Tiger not Leopard. Did have one brief issue with my Nikon scanner but that was my error and quickly fixed, that's it.<br>

I used to build PC's in my day and knew what I was doing (more or less). Sure, if you don't connect to the internet, you don't have to worry about viruses......as much. You still can get em easy enough everytime someone brings you a file on a disk or other device. So, you run an extra machine for connectivity. That's fine, it works for you, but as inexpensive as that machine is, it's still an extra machine. I remember going to manufactures sites everytime I changed a sound card or a video card, or always looking for the latest video driver more likely, that type of thing. Then there were the cd burning software issues that I suffer at work today still, all the time on our admittidly cheapo, ram starved underpowered systems there on Vista. Its always a sparkling challange wether our CDDVD burner/reader is going to be able to read someone else's disk. Most of that is because are stripped to the bone office comuters and not what one would have at home for high end photo work. But still the same, have had very little to no problems like that at home on a 3 year old computer.<br>

I agree with how you go about building PC's. Start with a good case and power supply and then rebuild every couple of years, depending on how fast stuff changes and how often you want to tweek it. I used the same case for 3 or was it 4 rebuilds + "tweaks". From the Celeron Overclock days to the AMD days. I used to think the "mac just works" people were wackos, I thought it was overpriced, underpowered hardware, until I went to photo school and started using iMacs and power macs there. I then decided to "switch" when it was time for my next upgrade and went for the mac and I really, surprisingly, haven't looked back especially when Mac went to Intel (many apple fanatics thought that was treason). It really is OSX that makes it work.<br>

And Garrison, I have to say, speed is great with Raid 0. I know you move stuff through quickly, I don't know what your requirements are for back-up, but isn't it risky using that configuration?. Surely you back it all up somewhere else? Or is your business just pass through where you don't need to long term store images?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I read a few posts about PCs slowing down over time and this is true because a PC still uses a registry (the heart of many PC issues). The registry literally tracks everything on a PC, but the more stuff on the PC, the slower it gets since the registry has more to track. Just like any large database- the larger the database, the slower it gets. It's a good idea to do a clean install of any OS from time to time; it's just that OS X is a breeze to install compared to Windows XP/Vista. And yes, I have installed both. As to what computer a person should get, if you have to ask, get a PC. It really is that simple. Only you will know if/when you need to switch. My personal example is as follows: back in 2000 I think, we needed to get a laptop for some design classes and since the classes were all on Mac we got a 400MHz Powerbook with a whopping 512MB of RAM. At the time I was doing some video editing on a PC.... I think it was a Gateway, somewhere around 1.2 GHz (I remember it being about 3x faster than the Powerbook) with 2GB Ram. The Gateway was a tower with a 2nd internal drive- one for the OS and one for my video files. As was par for the course, I was frustrated trying to get something done on the PC. When I look back, the worse part was not knowing if I was at fault, or the PC. In any event, if I tried to scrub through the timeline on the PC it was very, very choppy- skipping frames all over. I had no idea that it shouldn't be this way. That's just the way it worked on the PC. For fun, I loaded my video project on our Powerbook. Using iMovie I could seamlessly scrub through over an hours worth of content. Here I had a laptop that was three times slower in clock speed, with a slower internal hard drive that held both the OS and the video files with one-quarter the Ram and yet I could scrub video without any issue. To say I was amazed would be an understatement. We bought an iMac. All I can remember from our early years of switching was how amazed I was at how it just worked. I remember my first project and my new iMac froze (it does happen). Naturally I was upset until I realized I had been editing this project for over 3-weeks without so much as a restart. It dawned on me that that feat was never possible on our PC for whatever the reason (I really don't care: one worked, one didn't). I have been a Mac fanboy/elitist/call me what you will since. Now I also teach a few Community Ed classes on basic computer info (as well as digital cameras and editing). And for these classes I typically use XP. And after a few hours of using XP, I am thrilled to get back to my Macs! But that's me. Again, I don't care what somebody else uses. I don't care if you can build your own computer/car/house/better mousetrap than the next guy. I have no interest in doing any of those things. I want to sit down, get me work done, and enjoy life. My Macs allow me to do that. I never had a PC that did. And I maintain a few friends PCs and all I hear about computer issues. Granted, many are users issues- but not all (I've never had to drill down into a Macs registry to fix something- a Mac doesn't use one!). Anyway, that's why we switched. If you don't have a reason to switch, then don't. </p>

>>> No, Again, because I choose to use OS X.

But my Vista box is 'probably' more powerful than your Mac with 'probably' a better monitor, that is highly productive, hassle free and without virus problems. It is endlessly expandable at a sensible money, but costs probably half what you paid.

Now OS X is without doubt a superior operating system than Vista, but as my main point stated, it isn't worth anywhere near the extra you have to pay for the privalege of running it. We all hear the 'horror' stories of Windows virus attacks, but keeping virus free isn't difficult in a Windows environment.

And ask yourself the question, if Mac was such a brilliant deal, why don't people buy more of them? Simple answer; inital cost, later releases of drivers and software updates and expensive upgrades. Don't get me wrong, Mac's are good pieces of kit but I'd feel like Mr Jobs was taking the pee out of me if I bought one and frankly that EF 135mm 2.0L lens is better in my kit bag than the equivalent amount of money in Jobs' pocket.

<p>>>> But my Vista box is 'probably' more powerful than your Mac with 'probably' a better monitor, that is highly productive, hassle free and without virus problems. It is endlessly expandable at a sensible money, but costs probably half what you paid. </p>

<p>How nice for you... </p>

<p>Why are you so upset with others' choices?</p>

<p><br /></p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Everybody is saying how Mac's are stable and don't crush.<br>

Any one out there with a OSX 10.3? try going to google maps using safari and tell me what happens. It crashes and spits out some error.<br>

Can you update safari on a 10.3 to a newer version? According to the Mac store - you can't. You either need to upgrade to a 10.4 or buy an entirely new Mac (10.5 didn't come out when this was happening).<br>

Tell me that is not an extortion.<br>

You can install any version of IE, Firefox, or most other software on an 8 year old PC running XP and it will be free.</p>

<p>As much as i hate Microsoft, they don't force you to buy new OS just to upgrade IE to the latest version (and this is just one example).</p>

<p>Also, every one and their brother is talking about how bloated the Vista is. How about the bloat and the resource consumption of the 10.5? (i'm sorry for not knowing which number corresponds to wich cat). try checking the resources of the Mac just running the OS and tell me the numbers.</p>

<p>Yes, the 10.5 is a thing of beauty. It's polished, refined and very cool (talking about looks here) and i love watching some one working on one, but the machine to run the thing needs to be very fast.<br>

Same machine running Vista is litteraly gonna run circles around the Mac. I'm talking about a direct comparison. My friends own a business in NYC, one of them is a Mac fan for as long as i know him, the other is a speed freak (in everything).<br>

The Mac friend bought himself top of the line MacPro (can't remember the exact specs now) and was raving about how fast hi's Mac is compared to the others year old PC.<br>

So the other guy asked me to build him the exact same machine from parts, and install Vista on it (we are talking both 32-bit systems). I did, we installed CS3 on both systems, rebooted them both, let the OS settle down for about 10 minutes after boot, started up PS, oppened the same file, ran an image resize on a picture from a 72dpi to 3600dpi. Gues which one finished first? And what was the difference it time?<br>

The PC finished first with Mac trailing it with more than 3 minutes behined.<br>

Does this proove that the PC's are better? NO it just means they have a slight edge it performance (Vista vs. OSX) on the same hardware.<br>

It didn't make my Mac friend switch to PC, he just likes the feel of the OSX. Just like the other one like the way Vista feels.</p>

<p>To each his own.</p>

<p>Just a story. :)</p>

<p>The sad thing is, in the last 3 thread about mac vs pc, if someone count it, you will see that theres not that much people from the mac side that really told you that...Why do PC user feel the need to point finger and justify there mac angryness?</p>

<p>Mac vs PC is and will ever be a childish war that dont need to be appening..</p>

<p>I would like to read from a PC user the same as me a Mac ellist / maniac / affionado said not so long ago..it is so hard?</p>

<p>"Still the same argument everytime..$, virus, compatibility, bla bla bla..<strong>my advice buy anything you want, you got the money, you dont care about the fact that a mac is more expensive for nothing, like me, get a Mac. You are money conscious, you dont want to spend it on something just for the image or the look or the OS..get a PC</strong> "</p>

<p>Why do PC user always bring $ as a argument..do i hurt your feeling because i can afford one? do you feel a injustice because i can afford 3? why should you care! why should you care if the OP could buy a mac? what do i care what other buy..money or not, i still respect other people choice. Theres is no religion / politic partie / camera brand / computer brand in the top player better than the other..in the end its mainly a matter of taste, OS taste, design taste..thats it.</p>

<p>_____</p>

<p>Oh by the way, i have a mac pro with raid drive, i use it because it give me a speed boost, and i dont keep anything on it for a long period (not a backup drive) and i have more backup made than a normal user will ever do in is life, because i <strong>WORK</strong> with my Mac, i dont play game : )</p>

<p>Nice post, yet scary Patrick, If you lose one of your raid drives you will wish you were just playing game:) I've got 5 friggen external drives from 2 160's 360, 500 and TB and it's never enough. I know commercial photogs that keep a set by the desk, a back-up of those in cabinets, and another set at the bank. One openly wonders if film isn't a better storage medium at the end of the day. The storage problem will become THE problem for serious and professional photogs running work through computers, but that's another topic.</p>

<p>Barry, i dont say that i have only 1 raid ..heres my detail setup;</p>

<p>disk 1 & 2 mount as raid 0 for speed; application and client file (images are on it)</p>

<p>disk 3 is a clone copy (meaning i can start from it anytime and continue to work until i replace the raid) of the 1 & 2. The clone copy is made EVERY WEEKS, Friday night.</p>

<p>disk 4 is the IN PROGRESS job backup, basically the backup of all my client images, update manually everyday end of the day (for folder where change have been made only indeed)</p>

<p>disk 5 (external firewire 800 lacie rugged) is the back up again of those same client file, that i bring home with me in case that i want to work on them, as a external backup, in case shit append at my studio.</p>

<p>DVD double layered for all the finish job that have been delivered. Not a obligation as when i deliver the file the clients know that i dont keep backup, they should do there own. When the file are out and print they are not my responsability anymore, yet i like to have a copy of them just in case i can save someone ass. I burn 2-3 everyweek..im at DVD 226 as whe speak.</p>

<p>I have a mackbook pro unibody that act as a second computer at home with a Apple 24inch LED (LOVE IT) that have the exact same software as my macpro, so i can work on it if major shit append.</p>

<p>Oh and i might have a new Imac 24inch (i know i just sell mine 3 weeks ago) as a second station for retoucher assistant...</p>

<p>So as you can see i am a very stupid Mac owner that get 3 slow computer because they look cool, even knowing that it is far slower tahn is PC counter part..but what can i say..i like shiny metal thing LOL.</p>