Medium to Heavt Duty Tripod

gerald_wallace

<p>Gerald Wallace<br>

I have a similar question about tripods but with different weight requirements. I need to replace a tripod and ball head (etc.) that I lost recently. I will need to replace my arca swiss Z1 ball head weighing over a pound, (and Wimberly Sidekick lens mount). So I'm considering a carbon fiber 6X or 8X to support my heaviest lens which is the 500mm weighing approximately 8.5+ pounds, ball head, and Sidekick. I understand that Gitzo makes a good/light tripod. From what I have read, the best choices in ball heads (for the weight, approximately 10+ pounds) would be the Markins, Really Right Stuff, Kirk, and possibly the Arca-Swiss. The tripod I lost was the Bogan 3021. I need to replace my tripod and ball head with a rigid tripod and a ball head that can support a heavy lens. However, being a small person, I dont want to have to carry any more weight than is necessary. Does any one have any recommendations?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Get a Gitzo Carbon 6X3540LS or 3541LS (really no difference between the two) VERY light and stiff enough with ALL 4 sections extended to support a B1 with a heavy camera and a 600mm. Mine will do that or a heavy MF and even my 8X10.<br>

The 5 series is WAY overkill as the 3 series will hold 40+ pounds.<br>

Best tripod on the market. The 4 section allows it to fold up small enough to check aboard and it's ROCK solid. The systematic comes with a flat plate that can be removed so other accessories can be added. It will be the last tripod you ever buy....<br>

Much better quality that the induro 8X...</p>

<p>I replaced (well, not really, since I still have them) a Bogen 3221, Bogen 3036, Bogen 3443, and A Benbo 7 (Trekker 35) with a Gitzo GT-3530S. Carbon fiber.<br /> <br /> <a href="http://www.akajohndoe.com/webimages/photo/tripodspecs.jpg">Comparison Chart</a></p>

<p>The main difference between a "1" suffix and a "0" suffix is that the "1" suffix is a slightly newer model.</p>

<p>The difference between a xx3x and a xx4x is the number of sections. A 4-section collapses to a shorter length.</p>

<p>The aspherical ball on the Arca-Swiss makes it the best ballhead made, IMHO.</p>

<p>If you get a Systematic Gitzo tripod with the flat plate, you can easily swap between a ballhead and a gimbal head. I never much liked the center column myself, anyway.</p>

<p>Another vote for Gitzo 3541LS + AS Z1 ballhead (with AS lever QR plate in my case.) It holds everything I use (haven't tried anything heavier than EF 600/4 + 1D3) and if you ever need a center column you can always add one. The 4 section legs are shorter when folded and IMO as sturdy as the 3 section variants. The 3541 is just an updated 3540.</p>

<p>The GT-3541LS specs:<br>

<br /> LOW - HIGH - CLOSED - CAPACITY - WEIGHT<br /> 3.9 - 57.5 - 21.7 - 39.6 - 3.8</p>

<p>Had there been a GT-3530LS at the time I might have got that. The "L" is longer/taller. I still prefer 3-section over 4-section; one less place on every leg to fuss with.</p>

<p>A Gitzo GT-3530LS or GT-3540LS would work well with your heavy 500mm lens. It is not the weight of the lens that matters much, but the focal length. For extra stiffness in the wind, you might even consider a 5530LS or 5540LS.</p>

<p>I have a GT-3540LS, which I find is somewhat stiffer than my aluminum G-1504 (series #5 Systematic). I am considering a GT-3540XLS (78", 4 lb) for overhead video work, to replace my heavy (12.5 lb) 1504. A 4-section Gitzo tripod is just as stiff as the corresponding 3-section version, but folds up shorter. The difference in setup time is negligible. The only time I extend the legs fully is for video. For still photography, 2 sections of the 3540 are enough to bring the camera to a comfortable level.</p>

<p>The "Systematic" tripods let you use a leveling platform or flat plate for maximum stiffness - something to consider if you plan to use a Wimberly head. The G-5531 leveling head is perfect for that application.</p>

<p>My latest purchase was the Gitzo GT5541LS. Never been happier with a tripod, and knowing that my 600 f/4 is stable comforts me very well. Is it possible to have too much tripod? Perhaps, but worry free is worth it to me. This tripod is massive and stable. Works for me with my wimberley gimble just fine.<br>

Derrick</p>

<p>Thanks for comments, alot of good advice. It looks like I will get the Gitzo GT3541 if it's newer than the GT3540. I need to determine what the different designations mean (L,S, etc) and decide if I should go with a 3 or 4 leg tripod - I don't want a center post because I will never use it. Can you buy the tripod without the center post? I don't plan on replacing my ball head with the same type (Arca-Swiss with Z1). I don't have any thing against the ball head but I don't trust the Z1 mount after the one I had separated from the ball. I looked at but did not try the Gitzo GH3780QR ball head and it doesn't weight very much but I don't know how well it would operate. Are there any recommendations on a good/light ball head? Thank you all for your coments.</p>

<p>One of the earlier posts, regarding Wimberley, discussed the redesign of the Arca-Swiss Z1 to correct the issue with the stem separation.</p>

<p>The <a href="http://www.gitzo.com">Gitzo catalog</a> can be downloaded in several languages and it fully explains the naming/numbering scheme. Or, if you prefer, you can also get the catalog from <a href="http://www.bogenimaging.us/webdav/site/bius/shared/literature/GITZO_2008.pdf">Bogen</a> .</p>

<p>Yes, you can buy any <em>Systematic </em> Gitzo Tripod without a center column.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Systematic tripods (the "S" designation") come standard with a flat plate in lieu of a center column unless you purchase a "kit" version (e.g., from B&H). If you want a column in the future, the aluminum version fits, and only cost's about half that of the CF column. It takes only seconds to loosen one clamp bolt to change out the center section. Non-Systematic Gitzo's have a column which cannot be completely removed - the column clamp and support remain in place.</p>

<p>The '41 version has a few minor changes from the original '40 version - nothing to write home about. Gitzo publishes complete parts drawings on their website which will give you a better idea of the exact configuration.</p>

<p>The Arca-Swiss Z1 and Really Right Stuff BH-55 are good, light ball heads. If "light" is sufficient, there is the Acratech Ultimate head. The Arca is the only ball head with an effective tension control, due to its flattened ball which gets tighter when tilted.</p>

<p>Thanks again for your comments concerning a tripod. I ordered the Gitzo GT3531S tripod.<br>

Now, I need to order a BALL HEAD and have limited my choices to two: the Arca-Swiss Z1 (which I use to own before it was lost), and the Markins M20. There isn't a lot of difference in price so that's not an issue. The Markins is a little lighter (which is important to me) but has a quick shoe knob. I don't like knobs? I'm familiar with the Arca-Swiss Z1 (I use to own) but I need to use the Sidekick attachment when using my 500mm lens. I assume I would need to use the Sidekick extension with the Markins M20? (I would buy the Really Right Stuff (RSS) ball head if it didn't weigh a little more than my other two choices).<br>

Are there any suggestions or comments concerning the selection of a ball head? Thanks for your help.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>DN, to answer your question about the weight of RRS-55. The weight of the BH-55 is 1.9 lbs. the weight of the Arca-Swiss Z1 is 1.5 lbs. and the weight of the Markin M20 is 1.25 lbs. If weight is the only issue then the Markins M20 has the lowest weight. I'm sure all three of the ball heads are good but based on weight the contenders are the Z1 and the Markins M20. Is any one familiar with the Markins M20? </p>

<p>To provide closure: I talked about getting the Markins M20 however, because the M20 has a twist type extension rod for their lens capture device, I purchased the same type of ball head that I lost which is the Arca-Swiss Z1 with fliplock quick release. Thanks for your comments.</p>