Split-image vs. Etched glass on Hasselblad 500C? Which way to go?

andyorr1982

<p>I'm curious on everyone's opinion here. I have an etched glass focus screen in my 500C Hassie right now and I've contemplated putting a split image focusing screen in there instead. I was curious if anyone thinks that'd be a good idea or not?</p>

<p>To me, it sounds like it would make it much easier to get a solid focus on the subject. Right now I find myself struggling to focus on the person or object I'm shooting.<br /><br>

Are there any disadvantages to a split-image screen? I only have a 80mm f/2.8 lens right now so shooting with too slow of lens isn't a problem (ie the lack of light that becomes a problem with slow glass on a split-image screen).<br /><br />Thanks much for your opinions!<br />-Andy </p>

<p>This is very much a personal opinion thing, depending on your eyesight, subject matter, lighting levels, etc. With the newer Accumat D screens the image is brighter and seems easier to focus, but I always use the magnifier as well. The split image is easier to use in many cases, in my experience, although there are possible problems with exposure accuracy with some split image screens if you also use a metered prism finder in spot mode.<br /> My eventual solution was to buy the split image screen and keep the original, and switch between them for different applications. I'll use the split version mostly for wide angle, lower light and handheld walkabout shooting. For critical work, long lenses, on-tripod, or with metered prism, the regular screen goes in.</p>

<p>I have mixed feelings about the split-image focusing screens. I have both kinds, but over the years I find that I seldom use the rangefinder, prefering to focus using the ground glass.</p>

<p>For one thing, the area of interest is seldom in the center of the screen. The focal plane (and depth of field) is parallel to the film plane. If you turn the camera to focus on something near the edge of the field then turn back to center, it may no longer be in focus. In that case, it's better to use the ground glass with the camera in the final position. In order to use the rangefinder, you need something with a definite edge, like a building, cheekline or eyeglass frame. It tends to go dark with smaller apertures and longer lenses, or if your eye is not perfectly centered.</p>

<p>It is useful where the light is not that good, as for a group shot in an auditorium. However I do just as well outside with or without the rangefinder, especially using a prism finder which excludes extraneous light. For those inside shots, often at wide apertures (< f/5.6), I slip on the old WLF, which has a 4.5x magnifier (vs. 3x for the PM5 prism).</p>

<p>Focusing with a GG is a skill learned through experience. Nothing is ever really sharp on a GG, so you focus just past the point of best sharpness then back again (as much by feel as by sight). Secondly, you must train yourself to focus your eye on the screen, not through it. Grid marks or even the Fresnel rings help in this endeavor.</p>

<p>Thanks for all of the thoughts. As I understand it, almost all (if not all) split-image screens do have ground glass on the exterior of the image circle. So, if you do need to focus on a point that's outside of your image circle you can still do the GG approach without aiming the SI circle at the subject then recomposing?</p>

<p>So far I've been very unhappy with my focusing abilities and that's why I'm contemplating the SI screen. This weekend I did a portrait shoot and found the subject to be out of focus on nearly every frame. Bummer.</p>

<p>It's too bad I can't switch out the focus screens myself on the 500C. I should have considered spending the extra money to get the 500CM!</p>

<p>Take care,<br>

-Andy</p>

<p>I'd only switch if you think it necessary. The AccuteMat screens are nice, whether they have the split image or not. I accidentally grabbed an older EL/M for a shoot last weekend in darker light, and it was hell to shoot with the older fresnel screen. It had the split image, but even with an 80mm, it was a bear to focus. So if you plan to make the switch with a 500 C (frankly the split finder gives you another focusing option), you might as well get the split image.</p>