Gay Marriages and Photography Styles

noah_maier

<p>Ok I am not trying to stir up trouble,<br>

but as my business expands I am building client relationships with gay couples. I know it is a matter of time before my first gay wedding. I am gay myself, so obviously it doesn't bother me. However, I was wondering if there is anything different that should be done posing, specifically in formal portraits. Any ideas would be most appreciated!</p>

<p>Also, I would be curious to hear if anyone has had a bad experience with a gay wedding, and if so why?<br>

I would like to stay away from moral prejudices here and focus on the weddings. If you don't like gay people you are entitled to your opinion but I'm sure there are other places for that.</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

-Noah</p>

<p>I was kind of afraid of saying or doing something wrong when I did my first gay wedding.<br>

As soon as I got there, it seemed just like any other wedding.<br>

I haven't worried since.<br>

For posing, it's just like posing anyone else. You get a feel right away for what they're comfortable or not comfortable with.</p>

<p>Hey Noah, I've done several and found the hardest part to be getting my work out there for gay couples to see. I mean, does a lot of straight wedding photography equal a sensitive eye for the same sex couple? I just did one this weekend in Va, I treated the guys as I would anyone else, while not being gay I find myself every bit as protective of my clients happiness and was more anxious about their reception on the street for their photowalk.</p>

<p>To answer your questions specifially in terms of posing, I think talking with them you get an idea of their personality, some couples might find it uncomfortable for one person to carry the other, although human interaction would suggest any coupling has consistent components; who is more sensitive, who is more physical, I usually get to the core of this in the many meetings (3 or more regardless of orientation) before. I'll ask.."okay, whose going to lose it up there on the altar?!" Most couples love chatting about their partners affection style, it's time to tease, time to reaffirm, I find it a bonding experience between myself and the couple, regardless of who I'm talking to.</p>

<p>I did however get some really cute pictures of the grooms making out in the elevator!<br>

Daniel</p>

<p>Agree with all of the above. i have done over 20 to date. Usually great experiences. Treat everyone with respect and you will enjoy yourself. Weddings are tense affaires. Some participants are more nervous than others just like any wedding. Have fun.<br /> <br /> See my site <a href="http://www.youngphoto.ca">www.youngphoto.ca</a> Photo galleries/the rainbow</p><div>00SWDw-110769784.thumb.jpg.7b3a3ac1a65d9396dc16bfac63d8b9c8.jpg</div>

<p>A lesbian couple both wearing the flowing white gown would provide for some spectacular shots I think.</p>

<p>I am not so sure that two guys in black suits would look as appealing. So with a guy-gay-marriage you'd probably have to come up with some really imaginative poses to make the photos appealing.</p>

<p>I agree that basic 'poses' are best, and that certain poses just don't work with tuxes or gowns while others do. I've done a few, and treat it like any wedding, at which I also pay attention to the subjects' body type, language, and interaction with the significant other and choose appropriate poses. I've never had a bad experience at a gay wedding--I actually don't really know what you mean. Bad, how?</p>

<p>I saw the layouts for an album for a gay wedding (2 guys) that was done in James Bond style. It was very classy.</p>

<p><strong><em>"Ok, why is 0xym0r0n a bad word?"</em></strong>

<p><strong><em></em></strong></p>

<br />Hi David.<br /><br />It is not: "<em><strong>0xym0r0n" </strong></em>The filter employed by Photonet picks up the word "<strong><em>m0r0n</em></strong>" as not a nice word. However I think it allows “bum”, but not "Idi0t", as other examples.<br /><br />BTW one only needs to substitute one zero for either letter "o" in the "mor0n" part of the word to fool the filter, not all three of them.<br /><br />WW<br /><br /><em><strong>Noah:</strong></em><br /><br />I have never had a "bad experience" at a Gay Wedding. I have covered a few. I have had only a few bad experiences at Weddings generally - and I do not think the sexual preference of the Clients had any impact on those bad experiences, it was likely the alcohol consumed by the next removed in the Wedding Party, which set the spiral downward. <br /><br />Personally, apart form the obvious limitations on some poses, as David pointed out (the Dress laid out as one example), it is an event I approach in the same manner as any Wedding, and I communicate the same, with both clients.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>I've never shot one, but I think I would handle it the same way I handle a straight wedding. I think as with any wedding communication with the couple beforehand to get a feel for what they are looking for is very important, probably more so with a gay wedding.</p>