Fuji G617

roland_schmid

<p>Roland<br>

I have used a Fuji but owned a Linhof 617 which in my opinion is a superior camera. The earlier fixed lens version can be bought for about the same money as the Fuji and will focus closer I also beleive the viewfinder is more accurate on the Linhof, and the 90mm Angulon is legendary. I really which I hadn't sold mine I paid $1500 and sold it for $1500. I am not trying to confuse the issue but a Linhof is good consideration. It's a bit like comparing a 82 Porsche 911 with a 95 Toyota Supra I know which one I would want.</p>

<p>Steve</p>

<p>Hi Roland,<br>

I've had a Fuji G617 for about five years and love it. I've printed six and eight foot wide panoramics with it for clients, etc., and am very pleased with it. I can't compare it to the Linhof, although it also sounds like a great camera.<br>

Also, consider the new Chinese panoramic cameras so that you'll have more flexibility with the lenses: Shen Hao and/or Fotoman...</p>

<p>Tim!</p>

<p>Thanks so far for your comments. Tim, I did work with a Gaoersi 6x12 for a while. The possibility to adapt different lenses is nice, but it suffered from light leaks through the red film viewing window on the back. I assume that the German and Japanese products are better made mechanical wise.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>A word of warning on the G617 chaps.<br>

Here in the UK, Fuji have stopped servicing most pro film cameras as of Jan 2009 and passed the kit they have onto an external repair man.<br>

Not entirely surprising, but it appears they did not pass any Seiko shutters (which I was always told were common) on to him and have none left. It also seems difficult for him to source them. He mentioned one chap in the States may have some but is asking unrealistic prices for them. At the time of writing I don't know who this is. This means the G617 finally joins the list of cameras were shutters must be rebuilt (if possible) rather than replaced.<br>

I don't know if the situation is the same in the USA, Euope, Japan etc Further info would be useful if anyone has any, including whether any other shutters are suitable for the G617.<br>

For the moment I'm suspending my sales of the camera, but will continue to sell GX617's.<br>

The problem does not affect the GX617 lenses.<br>

kind regards Mark<br>

http://www.markdentonphotographic.co.uk/</p>

<p>My camera mechanician told me that the seiko shutters are an exact copy of the copal shutters, so he thinks fixing them is no problem. The mechanician is good. If there are no more spare parts avaiable he will make his owns.<br>

I got a like new G617 with counter on 020 and hope it will be good for a while. Very nice lens btw!</p>

<p>That's very good Roland, thanks. Can you try to find out from him which copal shutter it is that will fit? I have one that could do with a new shutter, and also a spare 105 lens element that I'd like to convert for use on the Fotoman system.<br>

kind regards Mark</p>