D700 exposure change when downloaded into lightroom2.2

paul_rankin

<p>When I view a photo taken with my d700 in the lcd and then download it to lightroom 2.2 the exposure jumps up (over exposes) by about 1/2 a step. This happens with flash/strobe and to a lesser extent with continuous, but not with natrual light. I've checked my import settings for lightroom and I believe they are correct. Has anybody else had this problem?</p>

<p>How are you judging that 1/2 stop jump? I use LR 2.2 and the D700 as well. Are you comparing the histogram or just the JPEG preview on the LCD of the camera.<br>

A few things to consider that might be throwing off your eyeballs here: 1) are you shooting RAW? 2) is the brightness on the D700 LCD pushed up or down? 3) is your monitor properly calibrated? 4) are you viewing the LCD and monitor under similar lighting conditions (e.g. viewing the LCD in bright sunlight can throw off your perception of the gamma of an image), 5) and as you've mentioned, your import settings.<br>

Make sure you compare like to like. There's a lot of threads about what is the best interpreter of Nikon NEF images, View NX vs. Capture NX vs. PhotoMechanic vs Lightroom vs Bridge can all interpret the image a bit differently. 1/2 stop can be tough to judge exactly.<br>

I've found that LR actually feels a touch under vs what I get on my LCD.<br>

<br /> Sorry if I've only added more questions but these are all things to consider to see if LR is consistently doing something to your images. I'll be interested to hear more on this...</p>

<p>"I've checked my import settings for lightroom and I believe they are correct."<br>

What exactly are these settings?<br>

And if you can show a screenshot of the histogram.<br>

The LCD on the back of the camera is not a good tool to judge exposure at the level of 1/2 stops.</p>