Other brands' shutter release work on gx680iii?

sorry_no_photos

<p>Evan, to the best of my knowledge, the GX680III requires a specific, dedicated cable release. In fact, you can't even use cable releases from the earlier versions of the GX680 camera. The GX680III releases do come up now and then on a well-known auction site, however, so if you choose that route, you are not likely to have wait too long. Available in both 1m and 5m cable lengths.<br>

If you are using a sturdy tripod, and mirror lockup, then tripping the shutter with a light touch on the shutter button is not automatically going to introduce camera shake. Having said that, I always use the cable release with my GX680III -- being left-handed, it's simply easier for me that way.<br>

Have fun with your new camera -- it's big and heavy, but the results are well worth it!<br>

David.</p>

<p>Thanks David. I suspected as much. I'll keep an eye out on the auction site.<br>

The camera came in today. I thought I knew what to expect by the weight data and the photos, but as someone else had noted on this site, Fuji doesn't show photos of people holding the beast. It's ginormous!!! But I've got a Berlebach tripod with the single leg extensions, so it'll take anything the Fuji throws at it. Now, I just have to figure out how far afield I'll take it. I've got a little Nagaoka 6x9 field camera, but even with a fresnel lens, interior shots are quite dim on the ground glass. I'm pleased to see that the Fuji viewfinder is very bright. </p>

<p>The cable release for the GX680III is a very unusual item and has a multi pin connector that looks like one of the old DIN connectors fro audio equipment. My guess is that only the Fuji one will work. Ifind that the release, Mirror lock up and a good tripod are essential. You may be able to get by without the release but the mirror lock up needs to be used as the mirror is a beast. Buy lots of batteries as the camera and backs use them fast - especially in the cold. By the way - the shots are amazing - the 180 F3.2 being unbeleivable for portraits.</p>

<p>Thanks Phillip.<br>

I took my first photos today. I noticed that even with the mirror lock up, there was a fair bit of shake. That may have been partly due to the manfrotto 488rc4 ball head I'm using. I'm going to try and get by without the ball head, I think. I have a berlebach 1042 tripod with a ball that permits 30 degrees of swivel, but I'd like to somehow get a quick release that attaches directly to the plate instead of having the extra weight (and instability) of a head involved.<br>

The camera also froze up on me (the flashing triangle) after less than 10 minutes in -10 celsius temperature (about 15 farhenheit, I'd guess). I had to take it back inside before I was able to take the next shot. Is this normal?</p>

<p>If you do not have the AA pack on the side of the body the batteries go fast in low temperatures. I get about 4 films (120) from the three CR123s before they are finished in temperatiures between -10c AND -25C (I am in the Canadian Rockies so I can work in metric!). 10 minutes sounds short unless the batteries were partly used up. By the way I find in the cold weather that I get the flashing triangle quite often - but this is almost always because I do not have the lens on correctly. I find that when you changes lens in extreme cold it does not always mount correctly and you get the triangle because the camera does not recognize the lens. The display on the back will show this as the lens flashes. If you problems coincided with a lens change this may be the issue. Even now after many rolls of film in low temperatures I still frequently find that the lens is not quite on the body when I change outdoors in cold weather. I am not sure if it is the clumsyness of cold hands or actually some issue with the connection.</p>