out of date speed + or -

<p>I have 10 rolls of fujicolor 800 superia -(press, i think) thats about 3 years out of date...i was shooting it in a Diana+ so the exposures are sorta subjective , around 1/60 at an f? but i was in bright daylight so i thought if anything i was over exposing ..man the negs were thin or completely empty..my Q.....does out of date film get faster or slower in iso?...i thought it got faster? but it seems like no with this experiment..</p>

<p>also...is there any home kits to develop c-41 that are not 1/4degree tempeature tolerances tight? ...anything is acceptable, these are 'artsy' and open to deviances in shifts are quite acceptable...just decent exposures wanted..<br>

develop. suggestions welcome<br />and iso starting points suggestions too for the out of date film...</p>

I don't think it was the age of the film that caused you a problem. In fact, I can't figure out what caused your particular problem. With an 800 speed film in bright daylight, you should have been shooting at 1/500 sec at f/16. At 1/60 sec you would have to have been shooting at f/45 to keep from overexposing the film. I don't think your Diana has that small of an f/ stop so at 1/60 sec your negatives should have been badly overexposed, black or dense. Background fogging of old film would also contribute to darker negatives.

Since the negatives are clear or thin, indicating gross underexposure (or no exposure) it sounds to me like there is something wrong with your camera, like a problem with the shutter. Did you develop this film yourself? Maybe that is where it got messed up due to a really bad processing mistake.

James G. Dainis