Another 85mm 1.4 vs 1.8 discussion

joshloeser

<p>I'm starting to get into street photography, and I'm looking for a top quality lens that will help me get good (or great) shots on the go, particularly with the subjects isolated from the background. I've read almost nothing but great things about the 1.4, including past discussions here, but I've also read many positive things about the 1.8, which of course is a good deal cheaper. <br /> I don't want to end up paying for both lenses in the end (not at once, of course, but over the years), so I'm looking for guidance on which to choose. I'm okay paying the premium for the 1.4 if it truly is better than the 1.8, particularly with regard to sharpness. I've read some mixed messages on that between the two lenses, with some saying the 1.8 is better and others saying the 1.4 is superior.</p>

<p>What say folks this time around?</p>

<p>Note: I shoot with a D300 and also an N80.</p>

<p>Josh,</p>

<p>I own the 85mm f/1.8 and have shot with it on both D300 and D200. I have also had use of the AF -D 85mm f/1.4 for a brief time on the D300. The f/1.4 is one of Nikon's best primes and maybe arguably it's finest prime lens and most definately very popular. The f/1.8 model is a very good lens on it's own but it is bettered by the faster more expensive lens. On the D300, of the two lenses, I found the f/1.4 model sharper at f/1.8 and maybe f/2 but the f/1.8 lens is as sharp for my liking as the f/1.4 beyond f/2. The f/1.4 makes beautiful creamy bokeh compared to the f/1.8 lens and it is better built - if you are big on bokeh and must have a sharper image at super wide apertures then the f/1.4 model is your lens - I'm sticking to my f/1.8 as the price difference is enough for me to hold off for now and invest in other glass in the Nikkor line.</p>

<p>Summary is that 1.8 is slightly better for image quality - by a whisker - but 1.4 has the wider speed and legendary bokeh plus still stellar optics. Depends what your preference and budget is.</p>

<p>Personally I have the 1.4 and it is awesome beyond words, a simply unbelievable lens. I don't have the 1.8 so in a sense not qualified to make a direct comparative statement - but I have certainly seen evidence of many very happy users of that lens too on this site and others.</p>

<p>Oh by the way I also shoot DX format and my favourite light travel kit is a 35mm and an 85mm prime, thats all. Without knowing what other glass you have, based on my own experience if it was between just the 85/1.4 or else the 85/1.8 and something like the 35/2 then I'd go the latter as I think this is a wonderful top quality AND flexible combo for street.</p>

<p>You don't say whether or not AF is important to you, if it isn't look into the older 85mm f1.4 AIS. It's a superb lens that is very similar to the current 85mm f1.4 and for the price of the 85mm f1.8 AF. (some say that the optics are very similar to the AF version which was updated for AF and had the benefit of newer technology, the AF version is slightly sharper if all other things are equal under perfect conditions. Remember that focus has to be perfect in order to see any of these differences, and at slower apertures, the difference was minimal) On your D300 you'll aslo get metering so consider that. It's a truelly amazing lens that i wish i still had.</p>

<p>Both are great but id get a 1.8 because of the price, the size and the weight.<br>

Shooting street you have to carry around the lens all day and you have to decide if two hundred grams makes a difference. Also bear in mind the difference in filter size 77 vs 62.<br>

I think the 1.8 might also be less obvious?</p>

<p>I have never used either one but I want the 1.4 so badly. They say that you get what you pay for. If you want the best of the 2 I am sure the 1.4 is the way to go. The only reason I haven't bought it is because I think sooner or later Nikon will come out with an AF-S 1.4. Now that Nikon released the AF-S 50 and 35 my hopes have increased.</p>

I owned the f1.4 AIS version for a short time. I sold it because it wasn't so great with DX format. Now that I have a D700 I want one again, but don't have the money!! The f1.4 85mm Nikkor is amazing, I was very impressed with the image quality, even at f2.8 or wide open. It's too bad the 50mm f1.4 AIS or AF-D does not duplicate the amazing image quality of the 85mm f1.4 AIS. I've read the AF-D version is even better, but that is close to a grand...

<p>Sharpness is a toss up. It's really a matter of how much you're willing to pay for subject isolation over the background and background. I've used both extensively. I still have the f/1.4 AIS, but use the f/1.8 AF D because it is a terrific lens with AF. I think the f/1.8 is a little cooler than the f/1.4, but aside from that, I'd give the edge on sharpness to the f/1.8, but maybe the AF version of the f/1.4 is as good. The f/1.4 is one of those lenses with legend exceeding its performance.</p>

<p>I have not used the 1.4, I have the 1.8. In the photozone tests of the 1.4 they show you some of the purple fringing that the 1.4 can show. My 1.8 does this too, and it's really not very nice. I don't know if my copy is maybe worse than others or not. There don't seem to be many other people with this problem.</p>

<p>Also, I would be willing to be than Nikon will continue to release new AFS primes, including an 85mm. But when who knows.</p>

<p>Both are great lenses, If you shoot a lot with large apertures (say f2) and want the smoothest bokeh without having to doubt it plus better build quality then get the 1.4. Or if you simply want the brag factor, get the 1.4. If you want smaller size and price and best achievable image quality, get the 1.8.<br>

Note that this questions pops up frequently, I don't think the threads are archived. Maybe somone should write an article for P.net that compares these two so we can link to that...</p>

<p>To really answer your question, I suggest you do a much more in-depth research of the two lenses. To assist you with your work, here's a terrific site that has every imaginable link to Nikkor lenses including history, specs, tests and reviews, etc. And if you back up the link to the home page, you can find almost anything Nikon related, as well. Here's the link:<br>

<a href="http://www.nikonlinks.com/equipment_lenses_general.htm">http://www.nikonlinks.com/equipment_lenses_general.htm</a></p>